The sound of a Mothers Voice

  • EDDIE GRIMES
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 8:38 AM
      In all of nature the treasured sound that makes the first impression on life is the sound of a Mother's Voice. Each of us heard our name said in many ways.

      For me there was "Eddiee..," like short tune. And then there was "EDDIE!," like a drill sergeant, calling you to attention. Both made an indelible imprint, that has lasted a lifetime.

      In addition to the variations of your name were those things that Mom used to "keep us in line."

      Here are the top ten things most often heard by our family members:

      10. Keep your hands to yourself!!
      Don't make me have to tell you again!

      9. Get your elbows off the table...
      Don't make me have to tell you again.
      Don't pick at your food, eat everything on the plate.
      Don't eat like a pig here, go out into the kitchen. (it was ok to eat like pig in the kitchen)

      8. Do you have your home work done? Don't make me ask you again.

      7. Quit teasing Eddie.. I know you think it is fun.. he doesn't think it's fun. Don't make me.. etc.

      6. Is your room cleaned up and clothes put away?
      Don't make me.......

      5. Did you practice your spelling words?? This was the next to last thing you heard at night.
      Did you say your prayers?

      4. Quit teasing Eddie... for the last time!! Keep your hands to yourself.

      3. "God save us.!!! GIVE ME STRENGTH!!
      We heard this one more than any other line.

      2. I'm going to tell your Father. You'll wish I hadn't!!!

      And the Number One thing that would strike the fear of God into your soul......

      1. "Just Wait till your Father gets home. He'll give you a treatment!"

      In our family it was rare to ever hear a cuss word. Mom would say "Oh Shoot!.. but we knew what she really meant. Or her favorite, "Hells..FIRE," followed by, "What's the hell going on here, anyhow"??

      The very best were the "Good nights." All the boy slept in the attic.. and so from the bottom of the steps you heard..."You better be asleep before your father comes home". Don't make me come up there.... and finally in that melodic loving voice that is the hallmark of our Mother ... we would hear..

      "Good night Rick, good night Tom, good night John, good night Pierre, good night Bill... Is Eddie in his bed? Good night, Eddie."

      eddie grimes, '67