Mister Rogers

  • war021@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      I didn't watch Mr. Rogers all that much... I liked the Joe Negri segments because he played the guitar but the puppets always bored me... but I did once meet Mr. Rogers...

      Some of you may or may not know that my father, in addition to being a teacher, had a couple of programs on WQED-TV. When I was about 6 or 7 (which would make it '65-'66) I was with Dad at the QED studios in Oakland. I remember being pretty bored as a bunch of grown-ups stood around talking - and antsy - there was a lot of neat stuff around... cameras, control booths... etc., that I couldn't go near - when lo and behold Mr. Rogers happened onto the set...

      Dad introduced me to him and I was immediately struck by the fact that he looked me in the eye and spoke to me person-to-person (this was probably the last few years that the adage "Children are to be seen and not heard" was in effect... so, if you were the kid around grownups, it was pretty boring). I remember the conversation was about dentists and baseball and that he was pretty interesting and funny... but the fact that it was a two-way conversation impresses me as much today as it did then...

      Now that I am much older and have had children of my own and who, when younger, occasionally watched Mr. Rogers, I now understand his appeal and longevity. Sure, as we got older, we made fun of him and his King Friday and what not. But I've come to appreciate that, as it was when I was a child, he was able to make an instant connection... he was able to transcend the wall created by the glass screen and reach into a child directly...

      Will Aston-Reese
      Carlynton '76