ADMIN: tips

  • loring e. jahnke
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2000
      Ladies and Gentlemen,
      The following is a short (for her) message from one of our Moderators and our Resident Lawyer, the Lovely Loring Elizabeth Jahnke. We hope your take the time to read her "tips," so we don't have to delete anyone or sue them for abuse of the English Language.
      Thank you.

      cougs:

      i am a lower case edition of a list
      administrator. i post with tips for new group
      list members.

      i came by these in the school of hard knocks.

      run by the Fuhrer, Mussolini, Salazar, Tito,
      Mrs. Pachabel.

      OK, i digress.

      but i did get kicked off a group list because
      i talked to much. they said i broke the rules.

      well, when you talk, i.e., write, as much as i
      do, you break the rules more often. like if you
      never take your car out of the driveway, you will
      never commit a traffic violation.

      i omitted to sign my post. again and again.

      BUT that is not my point. i didn't object to
      the rules, just to the punishment. i and those
      who were canned along with me started our own
      group list.

      back to my wordy point.

      i think that now, on both lists, if you click
      on Reply, you will reply to only the person who
      posted to the list. if you click on Reply All,
      you will post to the entire list and that sender
      will get two copies.

      you might be missing contact with people who
      might want to contact you if you click Reply, but
      that is how it works.

      there is a Delete key on the right, next to
      the thing that does this: \ or, if you hit Shift
      at the same time, it does this: |

      if you are bored with a post, stretch the
      right pinky and depress Delete.

      if you have an IPS that charges per word or
      whatever, and charges are distressing you,
      consider switching to digest version of the big
      list. if you have trouble, contact me or Bill or
      Barbara Cain. one of us will sort it out.

      a major recommendation: sign your posts. for
      girls--and we still are, no matter what our
      ages--use your maiden names. pretend you are a
      spinster like me. because no one knows the name
      of the guy you married. or we get mixed up.

      this point of my post being that email
      addresses do not necessarily tell who you are. I
      am still trying to figure out Pat and Sandy in
      Pittsburgh, and RinehartD at the Securities and
      Exchange Commission--sec.gov.

      i realize that, though you have not met him,
      most of you are abundantly aware that Mowgli is
      one of my three Boxers, and that my email address,
      mowgli@..., named in his honor, is perfectly
      clear, and i should not have to sign everything,
      but i was taught by a despot, and it is ingrained
      in me to do so.

      questions, suggestions, comments welcome. the
      purposes, the intent of the groups is
      communication. ideas on how to do so better are
      welcome.

      loringelizabethjahnke
      mowgli@...
      uppertumonguam