Christmas Tradition

  • William Kirkpatrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
      Hub 59 here

      So much stressful stuff going on in the world especially the loss of the children and staff.

      We lived in a much simpler time in Crafton in the 50's. One of my fondest Christmas memories was this.

      We would all jump in the car and head to Mt. Lebanon to look at the Christmas lights and decorations.

      We would be in a line of cars that slowly made there way around the streets to look at the lights.

      We would slow down for the really neat displays and it wasn't hard to tell where they were because everyone else was slowing down.

      You know as I get older I get a terrible dose of remember whens at times. Then I remember my Father and Mother doing the same thing when we were younger.

      Grandma Kirk always wanted to know why we had to go out on dates. "Why don't you just stay home like we did and pull taffy or play cards." Oh Grandma, really!

      Have a gentle Holiday.

      Hub Kirkpatrick, '59
      Tarpon Springs, FL
    • PATRICIA WALD
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2012
        Well, Hub, that tradition of riding to Mt. Lebanon to look at the lights was alive and well in our household, also...

        Raymond Wald, '72
        Washington, PA
      • Susan Stephens
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2012
          Same here.

          We'd drive through Virginia Manor with all the old mansions (at least they were to our young eyes). Does anyone still celebrate Christmas Eve with an ethnic "feast" meal? My sister-in-law does the Italian foods with about 20 family members and I still do the Polish for the 14 of us here in Florida. Don't think I've sold the grandkids on kluski noodles and pierogi, though. After at least 130 years of celebrating in my mother's family (Zawrotny and Brut), it may end after this generation.

          Merry Christmas traditions to all,

          Susan Neely Stephens, '65
          Lakeland, FL
        • Al Gee
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 23, 2012
            We would do the same thing. As I recall it was the Virginia Manor section that had the best lights. That reminded me of special dining-out trips to Beck's Charter Oaks.

            Al Gee, '60
            Newtown, CT