Another Hurdle Jumped Over (in a manner of speaking!)

  • rut42424242
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2012
      Hey Group,

      Well, I traveled to NYC on Thursday as scheduled and all things considered, it was a huge success. The trip itself was a nightmare, but the dealings with the Spanish Consulate went very smoothly. I arrived at the Consulate three hours early (only flight I could get) and they wouldn't take me until my scheduled appointment at 1030. So I went over to 3rd Ave. and had breakfast and "people watched" for two hours not even taking advantage of the free "wi-fi" offered at the place. The city is a zoo...it bustles...traffic is unGodly and the people???... they were like ants scurrying from one place to another. And then of course there is the "graffiti"...it's been seven years since I've been to NYC and my overall impression? You couldn't pay me to live there!
      My meeting with the Spanish Consulate was exactly at 1030 and I presented him with all my documents...VISA application, medical certification, FBI Background check, proof of income which includes where the income is from, savings accounts and credit card information. I had to have all of the documents translated into Spanish and of course, all the accompanying account numbers were blacked out. I also had to present my itinerary (translated into Spanish). He was impressed with my organizational skills and needless to say, I had everything they needed.
      My documents are now handed over to the Governor of the Province where I want to live and he takes 90 days to decide whether or not to approve my VISA. The Spanish Consulate told me not to worry but then again...it's now out of my hands.

      There's nothing more I can do now but wait. These 90 days will crawl along and then I'll get an email saying to return to NYC for 5 minutes so they can "stamp" my passport with my new VISA!!!...at least I hope so...

      Be well.

      Mike Rutlege '71
      Kirkville, NY
    • William Kirkpatrick
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2012
        Hub 59 here

        Mike - Government sure does things in their own way. I haven't been in New York since the week before my son was born, in 1969. It always looks so good on movies and TV.

        I hope this new adventure works out well for you.

        An aside; one of the bus girls at my favorite restaurant brought up the old expression "It fell off The Truck." She happened to have three microwaves, under the counter, that she and her live-in found. It reminded me of my duplex neighbor, when I lived in Penn Hills; he had all sorts of lawn care items, seed, etc., that Fell off The Truck. Just so happened he worked in Lawn maintenance at a Country Club. I was always afraid the cops would come roaring up some night and bust him. It didn't happen when we lived there.

        A happy July 4th to all of us. Although I bitch and moan that the country is going to hell, there isn't another form of government that I would like to live under.

        Hub Kirkpatrock, '59
        Tarpon Springs, FL