Re: Remember the ORIGINAL Hollywood Squares...

  • William Kirkpatrick
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2010
      Hub 59 here,

      Another one of my favorites was Captain Midnight. I don't remember if this was TV or the serials that were on Saturday Matinee movies. Does anyone remember?

      Hub Kirkpatrick, '59
      Tarpon Springs, FL
    • William Kirkpatrick
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2010
        Hub 59 here again.

        What a wonderful thing Google is and the internet. Not only was Captain Midnight on TV; it was also on radio. I watched a you tube video of The Captain promoting Ovaltine with a baseball player. Also one where my favorite character, Ickabod Mudd, was featured. I didn't get my favorite line, "OK, Icky, warm up the Silver Dart!"

        Hub Kirkpatrick, '59
        Tarpon Springs, FL
      • shoup58
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2010
          Hi All,

          Here is next to last batch of links to the clips of old TV shows.

          61. THE LIVE TV FRIDGE COMMERCIAL CATASTROPHE 1954 http://xoteria.com/CH61.html

          Poor Westinghouse. If their built in antenna TV fiasco wasn't enough, more flawed, chagrin causing infamy: the automatic refrigerator door that jammed on this live nationally broadcast commercial. Bet heads rolled! (CBS)

          62. THE ARTHUR GODFREY SHOW 1957 http://xoteria.com/CH62.html

          He ridiculed sponsors, fired staff on the air, fixed talent contests and made Godlike demands on execs, crew; yet still got big ratings, ruled corporate airwaves and network, sort of like Oprah does now, sans chicanery (CBS)

          63. BUILDING THE 1958 DODGE 1957 http://xoteria.com/CH63.html

          What a retrospect! A TV industrial film goes inside the Dodge automotive plant foundry. In 1979, Chrysler received a government bailout to make new Dodge cars. Sound familiar? (commercial).

          64. FIGHT CLASSIC: ROCKY MARCIANO vs. JERSEY JOE WALCOTT 1952 http://xoteria.com/CH64.html

          Highlights from that historic championship boxing match in Philadelphia September 12, 1952. Of course you'll see that boffo KO comeback in the 13th round~this is the true Rocky, Sly. (DuMont). Check out Dynamite Joe Rindone's fights, too, on Oldies Television Ch 79!

          65. AND MORE GREAT ICONS OF THE 50's VOL III 1952-59 http://xoteria.com/CH65.html

          Richard Nixon's first scandal, John Wayne's PSA, Marilyn Monroe's Motor Oil, Jimmy Durante's Schnozz, George Burns & Gracie Allen, Jack Benny & Dennis Day, Laurel & Hardy, Jackie & Art's "Hello, Ball!"

          66. ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS 1959 http://xoteria.com/CH66.html

          With a "good evening," came melodramatic thrillers from the Master Of Suspense, Alfred Hitchccock. The man whose big screen movies kept us on the edge of our seats brought the same to small screens (CBS).

          67. SATURDAY NIGHTLIVE~~ BEFORE SNL 1954-58 http://xoteria.com/CH67.html

          All Broadcast Live Sat Eves: The Bob Hope Show, The Liberace Show, The Ken Murray Show, Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, The Steve Allen Show, The Pat Harrington Show, The Jackie Gleason Show, Sid Cesar's Your Show Of Shows. Watch many surprises with regulars & guests. (ABC-CBS-DuMont-NBC).

          68. FELIX THE CAT 1959 http://xoteria.com/CH68.html

          In 1928, RCA testing Vladimir Zworkyn's iconoscope , Felix The Cat was the first image ever on TV; Oldies Television's roster would not be complete without Otto Mesmer's historic cartoon icon. Here is his 1959 Saturday cartoon show with a new, hip updated opening that we can just ignore.(NBC).

          69. THE DONNA REED SHOW 1958 http://xoteria.com/CH69.html

          Donna mugs nervously to the camera when daughter, Mary (Shelley Fabares) sings at a school dance. The song she sings? "Johnny Angel," of course. Dad (Dr. Stone, Carl Betz) allays Mom's fears. Full episode soon and check out the Donna Reed Christmas Show below on ch 79 (NBC)

          70. full episode THE GOLDBERGS 1952 http://xoteria.com/CH70.html

          Gertrude Berg served as executive producer and co-writer as well as star
          of this beloved sitcom about the matriarch (Molly) of a middle class Jewish family.
          Frank Sutton, who would later be Gomer Pyle's Sarge, guest stars in this episode. (synd.)

          John Shoup, '58
          Worms, Germany
        • shoup58
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 10, 2010
            71. LUCILLE BALL & CAROL BURNETT 1965 http://xoteria.com/CH71.html

            Two queens of comedy together with Gale Gordon as straight man on "The Lucy Show". Lucy wants to join Carol on a trip to Palm Springs, they scheme to fool Boss Mooney. (CBS)

            72. THE LITTLE RASCALS 1955 http://xoteria.com/CH72.html

            The top Saturday morning TV attraction in the 50's was the re-worked MGM "Our Gang Comedies". This favorite classic episode has Darla wooing Alfalfa rather than vice versa on Valentine Day. Of course, the other guys would throw a hilarious gremlin in Alfalfa's romantic ballad crooning. (synd.)

            73. full episode HIGHWAY PATROL 1956 http://xoteria.com/CH73.html

            Before there was "Book 'em, Dano" in Hawaii, there was "Ten.Four" in California. Broderick Crawford starred. If you think dope smuggling was a thing of the 70's, wait 'til you see this narc bust in the 50's. (ZIV/MGM synd.).

            74. full episode LOST IN SPACE 1966 http://xoteria.com/CH74.html

            Danger Will Robinson! The world's first and last outer space sitcom; today, like "Trek," has fan conventions. This episode guest stars Mercedes Mc Cambridge (The Exorcist), here as matriarch of alien hillbillies. who grow a "Little Shop of Horrors" intruded upon by Dr Snith (Jonathan Harris) and Will (Bill Muny) (ABC)

            75. BEULAH 1951 http://xoteria.com/75.html

            Long before The Jeffersons and Sanford & Son; even before Amos & Andy on TV,there was the talented Ethel Waters as supermaid Beaulah & Butterfly Mc Queen as next door Orio. Sadly, Proctor & Gamble cancelled the highly rated, popular show after only two seasons. Guess why.(CBS)

            76. BEWITCHED 1966 http://xoteria.com/CH76.html

            Wriggle your nose,it's Elizabeth Montgomery as that saucy, sassy, beautiful, bedazzling witch and Dick York as her befuddled hubbie, Darren (or as Agnes Moorehead would say, "Durwood" (NBC)

            77. I DREAM OF JEANIE 1966 http://xoteria.com/CH77.html

            Out of the bottle comes that lusciously capricious Jeanie, Barbara Eden (blink-blink. Larry Hagman is her adopted master, Bill Daly is the bewildered buddy (CBS).

            78. SEA HUNT 1957 http://xoteria.com/CH78.html

            The "Dragnet" of the ocean floor, Lloyd Bridges fights underwater crime with only a snorkle. This syndicated show, along with "Flipper" (coming soon), got high tide ratings in it's era (ZIV)

            79. DYNAMITE JOE RINDONE 1954 http://xoteria.com/CH79.html
            Like Rocky Marciano, Joe Rindone was the son of Italian immigrants who rose to boxing glory. Here is Dynamite Joe in action from the era when boxing was true.

            John Shoup, `58
            Worms, Germany