Re: April Fools Day

  • William Kirkpatrick
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
      --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, William Kirkpatrick <WKIRKPATRICK1@...> wrote:

      > <snip>
      > In Fredonia, New York, there is a dairy called Aldrich Dairy. Each
      > year they make a different ice cream for April Fool's day. They get
      > national attention now like the Groundhog folks.
      > <snip>

      Hub 59 here,

      I tried to get Aldrich Dairy on the phone. One had been disconnected and the other they don't answer. Either April Fool's Day did them in or they are not in business anymore. I will have to check with my friends that summer up in that area.

      Hub Kirkpatrick, '59
      Tarpon Springs, FL
    • Tony Devlin
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
        I tried to find the flavor of the year, too, but could not get through. A Buffalo television news station reported that Aldrich Dairy closed last year. Here is the link if anyone wants to research further.

        http://www.wivb.com/global/story.asp?s=8100992

        Cheers,
        Tony Devlin '77
        Harrisburg, PA

      • W GREEN
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
          Scott Green Sr. ’36 here – I submitted this piece last year and we had a little response.

          Lets try again!

          The following piece was written for the Pleasant Hills Library Writers Group as an assignment for the April meeting.

          I was the only one that wrote anything and after reading it the moderator, seriously, asked me what was fact and what was fiction?

          I accepted her question as a compliment. What do you think? Answer at end !

          "APRIL FOOLS DAY'

          By just going on-line to GOOGLE and typing in April Fools Day, I discovered a well-spring of information about my subject. Most historians of this phun phenomenon agree that it is always celebrated on April 1st when it's proponents do, by exaggeration or deception, attempt to fool or embarrass others. Different theories are offered about it's origin, and I quickly reviewed them, trying to determine the true and original beginning of this phun day. Finally I came to this conclusion:

          April Fools Day began in Ipswich, a port city in eastern England, whose citizens are noted for their attraction to the bazaar. They are a people who love to laugh, especially at anothers expense. The following will illustrate my point!

          On April 1st, 1887, young and lovely Mary Greensleeves married handsome Harry Phoolsday. On April 1st, 1888, exactly a year later, Mary delivered a girl baby. The happy couple had decided on names for the child. If it was a boy he would be named Peter Paul Phoolsday. If it was a girl, she would get the rhythmic name Phoebe Phoolsday. But when the beautiful baby girl was born on April 1st,which in those years was the first day of spring, they decided that since she was their first child,she would be named - APRIL PHOOLSDAY.

          A young apprentice writer for the weekly neewspaper The Ipswitch Times, heard about this unusual event, and wrote about it with a tongue-in-cheek story. A writer for the London Gazette happened to read that story, and embellished it, changing the spelling a bit, and finally declared every April 1st to be called April's Fool Day.

          - Quote: "It is to be phun day, when people dream up stories and situations, meant to embarrass or deceive another."

          Thus began the day we now enjoy each April 1st. Soon the newspapers of America picked up the story and began yearly contests for the best or phunniest story.The GOOGLE pages have many accounts of these contests and stories. And at the very end of their pages is this final note:

          April Phoolsday still lives in Ipswitch, in the same house in which she was born. At age 120 she may be the oldest living person, yet she is still mentally sharp and interested in current events. When asked about her longevity her quick reply was - "I just laugh a lot- especially on my birthday!"

          Proving that sometimes "FACT is stranger than FICTION".... and a happy APRIL FOOLS DAY to you!

          (The first paragraph only)

          Scott Green, Sr., '36
          Pleasant Hills, PA