The Girl With Emphysema

  • W GREEN
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2008
      I have always liked the song,"THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA" and it's a favorite with many jazz artists.

      One day as I hummed it the change to Emphysema came to my mind. A bit of research brought me the words to the song and soon I had re- written it with the following words.

      Who, among us has not had a friend or a loved one who has suffered this horrible disease? Sad!

      Scott Green, Sr., '36
      Pleasant Hills, PA

      "THE GIRL WITH EMPHYSEMA"

      THIN AND PALE AND NOT SO LOVELY,
      THE GIRL WITH EMPHYSEMA GOES WALKING,
      QUITE SOON SHE'S HUFFIN' AND STILL SHE'S PUFFIN' - AWAY.

      AS SHE WALKS A-WHEEZIN' PAST HIM
      WITH MEASURED STEPS - SHE SWAYS SO GENTLY
      HE CAN'T HELP CRYIN'- SHE'S SURELY DIE'N - AWAY

      OH, HOW HE LOVES HER SO SADLY.
      AND WANTS TO HELP HER SO BADLY.
      YES, HE WOULD GIVE HIS HEART GLADLY,
      YET EACH DAY AS SHE PASSES HIM BY
      HE SMILES WITH A TEAR IN HIS EYE

      THIN AND PALE AND NOT SO LOVELY
      THE GIRL WITH EMPHYSEMA GOES WALKIN'.
      AND WHEN SHE PASSES - HE SMILES
      BUT SHE DOESN'T SEE., SHE DOESN'T SEE.
      SHE DOESN'T SEE - SHE DOESN'T SEE - SHE DOESN'T SEE...