Crafton Fire of 1893

  • Dbase41@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2007
      Folks:

      I was doing some research and uncovered the following link.

      http://www3.gendisasters.com/pennsylvania/1371/crafton%2C-pa-fire%2C-jan-1893

      I don't recall ever reading or hearing about this before. The only name that is familiar is Crum. They were on my paper route and I knew their families had been in Crafton for generations. They used to live in the blue colonial, a few homes in, on the right side of Belvidere.

      Mark Schuster
      Crafton, PA
      Canevin '75

      Crafton, PA Fire, Jan 1893

      PERISHED IN THE FLAMES.

      Two Men Burned to Death in a Fire at Crafton, Pa.

      PITTSBURG, Jan. 24.-- At Crafton, seven miles from this city, on the Panhandle railroad, the Betner building, in which a club had its quarters, was destroyed and MRS. LENS' house badly damaged by an early morning fire. There was no fire department and help was sent from Mansfield. While the fire was in progress a report was circulated that BROWN KING, steward of the club, and EDWARD BRACKNEY, a member, were in the building. Several attempts were made to enter, but the willing rescuers were driven back each time by the flames. It could not be ascertained whether KING and BRACKNEY, had perished in the building.

      Both Were Young Men.

      Neither of them could be found at their usual haunts. They were the last ones in the clubhouse Saturday night. As the walls of the building fell into the cellar and the ruins were still smoldering it is impossible to search there for the missing men. Both are young men and BRACKNEY'S relatives reside at Crafton. He is a bookkeeper for the Eagle Paint company of this city. BETNER & SONS lose $2,000 on their stock of groceries, partly insured. MRS. LEAS' loss on taboccos [sic] and notions is about $300, and $400 on building, not insured. The brick building was owned by ELI CRUM and valued at $5,000. It was partially insured.

      Davenport Daily Leader Iowa 1893-01-24
    • joey
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
        --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, Dbase41@... wrote:

        > <snip>
        > PITTSBURG, Jan. 24.--
        > <snip>

        Did you notice, in the article, how Pittsburgh was spelled??

        I wonder when the 'h' finally caught on?

        J.M. LEPAK, Jr., '63
        Brandon, FL
      • Tom Businger
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
          --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, Dbase41@... wrote:

          > Folks:
          >
          > I was doing some research and uncovered the following link.
          >
          > http://www3.gendisasters.com/pennsylvania/1371/crafton%2C-pa-fire%2C-jan-1893
          >
          > I don't recall ever reading or hearing about this before. The only name that is familiar is Crum. They were on my paper route and I knew their families had been in Crafton for generations. They used to live in the blue colonial, a few homes in, on the right side of Belvidere.
          >
          > Mark Schuster
          > Crafton, PA
          > Canevin '75
          > <snip>

          Hello,

          After reading about the 1893 fire in Crafton, I called Joan Crum, class of '48, and asked her what she knew.

          Her grandfather was Eli Crum mentioned from Belvidere Street and he owned several pieces of property in the area. Joan's father was Arthur Crum, class of 1922.

          I neglected to ask Joan if her mom attended Crafton Schools but I did find an Agnes from 1925. Also, Arthur Crum Jr, Joan younger brother, married Nancy Blaha. Both were from the 1952 class at Crafton.

          She said her grandfather had owned the blue-gray colonial home on Belvidere Street. When Joan graduated from Crafton, in 1948, her family moved to that home from Crafton Avenue near the top of the street. She took possession of the Belvidere home in 1968 and lived there until around 1993 when she moved to Carnegie, PA, to an apartment. So, she may have been Mark Schuster's paper route customer.

          She had no recollection of the 1893 fire that destroyed the building and the two men perishing. In reading the newspaper, the account of the fire said, "Help was sent from Mansfield." She said that many boroughs had different names around the turn of the century. but thought it might be Mansfield (??) might be in in the Dormont area.

          Tom Businger, '48
          Parma Heights, OH
        • johler1966
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
            --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Businger" <papatom75@...> wrote:

            > <snip> In reading the newspaper, the account of the fire said, "Help was sent from Mansfield." She said that many boroughs had different names around the turn of the century. but thought it might be Mansfield (??) might be in in the Dormont area.
            >
            > Tom Businger, '48
            > Parma Heights, OH

            Tom, et al.

            Mansfield was one of the "wards" of Carnegie before they combined to make Carnegie. When I was up there in June I bought a book about the history of Carnegie -- this time it came in handy :):) That's one of the reasons Jane Street was renamed to Mansfield Boulevard -- also to make the area more equal opportunity correct :):):)

            Love to all,

            Adele Johler Roupp - 1966
            Jacksonville, FL