An Alarming Situation

  • Grampapwh1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2007
      Home for the night and you go to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you may already have and requires no installation.

      Start keeping your car keys next to your bed on the night stand when you go to bed at night. If you think someone is trying to get into your house, or if you hear a noise outside your house, just press the panic alarm on your car key chain.

      Test it! It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage.

      If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break in your house, odds are they won't stick around..... after a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that.

      Try yours to make sure it works before you rely on it. Just know that you must press the alarm ! button again to turn it off.

      And, remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there.....

      This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life.

      luvyafriends,

      Don and Bernice Burtner
      (Parents, '65)
      Winter Haven, FL
    • bhouseins
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, Grampapwh1@... wrote:

        > If you think someone is trying to get into your house, or if you hear a noise outside your house, just press the panic alarm on your car key chain.
        >
        > If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break in your
        house, odds are they won't stick around.....

        > luvyafriends,
        >
        > Don and Bernice Burtner
        > (Parents, '65)
        > Winter Haven, FL

        This works great for bears, too.

        While camping in Yosemite, a few years ago, we were able to scare away an aggressive bear using the car alarm.

        Bill House, '65
        Vacaville, CA
      • CraftonReunion
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
          Legion auxiliary brings bingo to hospitalized vets
          By Becky Hershberger
          http://www.gatewaynewspapers.com/signalitem/news/73712/

          American Legion Auxiliary Unit 145 let hospitalized veterans know they care last Thursday with an evening of bingo and fun. Members of the Crafton/Ingram auxiliary unit paired with members of The Frank R. Kirk Post No. 145, the American Legion, for a trip to Pittsburgh's South West Veterans Home. The bingo night was one of four auxiliary-sponsored visits during the year.

          "They play bingo and we give them the prizes and everything," said American Legion Post #145 commander Jim Stover. "The patients enjoy it, but we probably get more out of it than the patients do. You get satisfaction out of helping somebody that's really in need. That's what we're there for -- to help other veterans . Those of us that are healthy have an obligation to help those that aren't so healthy. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, socks and hats are just some of the necessary items American Legion and American Legion Auxiliary members provide to fellow veterans in need.

          "We like to make the veterans' stay comfortable and to know that we all appreciate what they had done for us and our country and this is a small way of saying 'thank you' to them," said Auxiliary president Mary Connell, who has been volunteering for veterans locally for at least 10 years. "We pride ourselves in taking care of our veterans. The government does what they have to and we're behind the government. Our service organization pulls together and helps out the veterans. The reason I really do this is because I was blessed. I thank God that my brother came out healthy (during the Vietnam era). I know a lot of guys from the area that have gone to serve. I get a feeling inside that you can't get anywhere else."

          The Auxiliary Unit No. 145 raises money through a "Poppy Day" flower sale each Memorial Day weekend, and every penny goes to area veterans hospitals. Money raised at the Crafton-Ingram Shopping Center fundraiser, goes toward the veterans' needs. "To get into the VA, you're either disabled, or you've exhausted everything in your health care, or you don't have anything," Connell says. "We have volunteers that go out to the VA and escort. We have donated money to the dementia ward for shoes. Different posts work together under the American Legion and Auxiliaries."

          There are four facilities under the Veterans Administration in Pittsburgh. There is a surgical hospital in Oakland, H. John Heinz is in Aspinwall with a range of services; Highland Drive has drug and alcohol programs and South West Veterans Home is an assisted living home. Anyone can visit VA hospitals. Anyone interested in information can contact Mary Connell, representative for H. John Heinz (Aspinwall) or Ed Connell. Highland Drive representative, at 412-921-4106.