Lunches

  • SANDRA L STEWART
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2006
      Hello, all - the discussion about walking to and from school and having to head home to eat really brought back some memories!! When you think about how young we were and how far we walked, it's really amazing.

      When I look back on walking home for lunch every day, I have such fond memories, although I'm sure there were many days I complained all the way home and all the way back to school!!!!

      I was lucky enough to have my mom at home, greeting me every day with a warm lunch! Once a week, my best friend, Judy Wolff and I would alternate - she'd walk home with me, I'd walk home with her... she loved my mom's grilled cheese sandwiches, I loved her mom's cheeseburgers.

      Jeanine Seth lived just about at the cutoff between Crafton and Crafton Heights. Her mom had decided that was too far for her to walk everyday, so she ate at Weavers (remember that place??) every single day!! I thought she was the luckiest kid around!!! It was always a treat when I got to join her and have lunch there!! I think Dr. Price, a dentist with an office at the bottom of backbone road, ate there every day.

      I can still see the waitress that worked behind the counter!

      In addition to walking home for lunch every day, remember when we also walked to Second Ward from the high school for some of our special classes? Home Ec and Shop?

      We were so lucky to grow up in that era!!! When, even though it was A LOT of walking, it was safe for a little one to walk a mile to and from school!!!

      Happy Holidays to all!
      Sandy Stewart, '74
      University Park, PA