Happenings Around Town

  • CraftonReunion
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      Polling places open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

      Here's a list of locations where you can cast your vote in the primary on Tuesday, Nov. 7.

      * Carnegie

      Ward 1, District 1 -- Carnegie Vol. Fire & Rescue Amb. Bay, 201 West Main St.

      Ward 1, District 2 -- Carnegie Borough building, 1 Veterans Way, council chambers.

      Ward 1, District 3 -- Carnegie Borough building, 1 Veterans Way, council chambers.

      Ward 1, District 4 -- Carnegie Vol. Fire & Rescue Amb. Bay, 201 West Main St.

      Ward 2, District 1 -- Salvation Army gym, 505 Washington Ave.

      Ward 2, District 2 -- Salvation Army gym, 505 Washington Ave.

      Ward 2, District 3 -- Holy Trinity UK Catholic Church hall, 730 Washington Ave.

      Ward 2, District 4 -- Carnegie Elementary School, Franklin Avenue.

      * Crafton

      Ward 1, District 1 -- Crafton Community Center, 140 Bradford Ave. second floor.

      Ward 1, District 2 -- Crafton Elementary School, 1874 Crafton Blvd.

      Ward 2, District 1 -- St. Matthew Church Hall, Steuben Street and Lincoln Ave.

      Ward 2, District 2 -- Crafton Towers, 1215 Foster Ave., recreation room.

      Ward 3, District 1 -- American Legion Post No. 145, N. Linwood and Crennel.

      Ward 3, District 2 -- Presbyterian Church, Hawthorne and Manor, Sunday school room.

      * Green Tree

      District 1 -- Borough Fire Hall, 825 Poplar St.

      District 2 -- Wallace Memorial United Presbyterian Church, 1146 Greentree Rd.

      District 3 -- Wallace Memorial United Presbyterian Church, 1146 Greentree Rd.

      District 4 -- St. Margaret Church cafeteria, 310 Mansfield Ave.

      * Rosslyn Farms

      Old school building/community center, King's Highway.

      -- With the closing of Black's Bridge, businesses on Crafton Boulevard are beginning to suffer. Antique store owner Judy Seligman, who runs Back in Style Antiques & Vintage Furniture, appeared before council members last week seeking a possible solution.

      "I rely on motorists driving by. They can't drive by," she said. "Maybe we could put up signage to let people know that we're back there." Seligman moved into 1935 Crafton Boulevard, the former site of Melia's Market, one year ago.

      "This is a concern to all of us. It appears that there is little that we can do about it," said council president Ed Stewart initially. He further suggested that something can be done as a group such as a sign with the businesses on it. Borough manager Doug Sample invited Seligman to call the borough office and some sort of arrangement can be made in conjunction with other area businesses.

      -- Mayor Susan O'Connell reported a few officers have been added to the roster for DANET now that their training is complete. Officials unanimously approved the department rejoin the District Attorney's Narcotics Enforcement Team back in July in a 7--0 vote with two council members absent. Approximately 100 Allegheny County police departments and more than 500 officers participate in DANET.

      -- The Crafton Celebrates committee still in need of volunteers. Anyone interested in volunteering can attend the next Celebrates meeting set for Tuesday, Nov. 14, at 7 p.m. "It's a ton of work. By January, we better be pretty well organized. We need people in charge of the parade, set up and tear-down and food," Stewart said.

      -- There will be a bonfire, open to the public, in Crafton Park on Saturday, Nov. 4.