Re: Reunion pics

  • johler1966
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
      --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, ludicrissy@... wrote:

      > Has anyone received their pics from the reunion? I've not gotten mine, yet.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Cris Fuss Hueneke, '66
      > Chicago 'burbs

      Cris -- I got my picture yesterday. Have you gotten yours yet??

      From that I would guess that all the pictures have either gotten to you or will be there shortly. And for those who were wondering about the class of 1966 -- there were 13 of us who made our presence known. Of course, that was with Eddie Grimes getting in 1966 AND for the 1967 class :):):) Does that mean we will have bad luck all year? :):):) If we do -- it's Eddie's fault :):):)

      Love to all,

      Adele Johler Roupp -- 1966
      Jacksonville, FL
    • CraftonReunion
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        Polamalu's unique spirit uplifting for Steelers, fans
        Tuesday, August 01, 2006
        http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06213/710094-66.stm
        By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

        Citizens of Western Pennsylvania already know the Steelers can lift spirits, but can these Super Bowl champions save lives?

        All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu, speaking in the type of calming tones of a Benedictine monk on the Saint Vincent College campus in Latrobe, proclaimed yesterday that Steelers indeed not only can save lives but they do. He has seen it, and not the kind where they use the Heimlich Maneuver.

        Merely walking into a room where a Steelers fan is on his death bed can improve the health of that person, Polamalu said, and it's an uplifting experience.

        "You can truly save people's lives like that," Polamalu said. "I've been in situations where people are at home and getting ready to die, doctors have given up on them, you know?"

        But after a visit by Polamalu, he has seen the deathly ill improve to the point where "they've been living for, like, three, four months already.

        "It's really beautiful in that way that you can affect people. In some ways, football is life here in Pittsburgh, it's their only hope. It's cool to affect people in that way."

        By now, most Steelers fans -- in various stages of physical health -- know that Polamalu thinks, talks, trains and plays differently than the average pro football player. He's a California native, but that doesn't fully explain it. His approach to football and life follow on a different path than most athletes, and he's not afraid to express himself.

        He refrains from lifting weights for the most part and he has ridiculed the NFL training camp routines along with one of the league's major corporate sponsors, Gatorade. He swiped again at the drink yesterday saying that the Steelers training staff does not give him any guidelines "besides spreading their Gatorade propaganda."

        Polamalu may be the best Steelers defensive back since Rod Woodson and he's definitely the most unique with his long hair covering the name on the back of his jersey, and the extraordinary way he plays the position of strong safety, one that landed him in the past two Pro Bowls.

        One more unique thing to him: Here is a Californian who prefers to live in Pittsburgh (he prefers Troy Hill over Nob Hill). He and his wife, Theodora, spent all summer at their North Hills home, venturing only on one three-day trip to California. It does not all have to do with the hills and rivers here, although he enjoys the fly-fishing. He derives much of his pleasure within the confines of the Steelers' UPMC facility on the South Side and at Heinz Field.

        "I told my wife, around my second year, that there's no better place to be than here in Pittsburgh," said Polamalu, starting his fourth training camp. "That's one thing Pittsburgh has over everybody else is this camaraderie of this team and the great coaching situation, how coach Cowher takes care of you, the training staff and the ownership."

        The popularity of Steelers players -- with him among a handful of the most admired -- does have its drawbacks.

        "It's pretty hard to go out here without getting hassled too much," Polamalu said. "When I go out in California, people could care less, even if you're a Tom Cruise, unless you're a paparazzi. And, they don't follow football. They're not a big fan of football like they are out here.

        "It stinks in a way if you're eating dinner and people are bothering you, but it's beautiful in a way when you have a kid who has only five days to live and the biggest thing in his life is wanting to meet a Steeler. That's where it's positive. It's happened to me a few times and it's really awesome to affect people's lives."

        His own was affected on the field when free safety Chris Hope, a fellow 2002 draft choice, left as a free agent in March.

        "We went through scout team together my rookie year and breaking into the starting lineup, so we learned everything together and won a Super Bowl together," Polamalu said.

        "We got to a point where Chris and I didn't even have to talk. I got to do what I do and he just reacted to it. To form that type of relationship is tough, being how different a safety that I am. You really can't practice at it unless you're on the field playing 11 on 11 or in these preseason games."

        A trio of players will compete to join him in the defensive backfield: Tyrone Carter, Ryan Clark, and rookie Anthony Smith. Whoever it is can expect Polamalu to pursue the same kind of style that has turned him into a linchpin of the Steelers' defense, something fans -- in good health and poor -- can appreciate.

        "I feel I approach what I do and my living as a football player the way they do, in this blue-collar mentality," Polamalu said. "That's a term thrown around a lot, but to say it and live it and to experience it -- even though it's a high-paying job like a football player -- it's no different to a hard-working construction worker, a landscaper. It's a blue-collar mentality."
      • RUT42@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
          --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "johler1966" <Adele.Roupp@...> wrote:

          > -- I got my picture yesterday. Have you gotten yours yet??
          >
          > Adele Johler Roupp -- 1966
          > Jacksonville, FL

          yo all...

          didn't receive my reunion pic (1971 and others) but instead a check for the amount paid, along with a note saying the picture was unavailable...

          i'm really bummed...

          mike rutledge, '71
          chittenango, ny
        • johler1966
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
            --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, RUT42@... wrote:

            > yo all...
            >
            > didn't receive my reunion pic (1971 and others) ...
            >
            > i'm really bummed...
            >
            > mike rutledge, '71
            > chittenango, ny

            Hey Mike --

            Lucky we had a "back-up" photographer :):):) I will send you a picture that I took of the 1971 and others.

            How's that :):):):)

            Love to all,

            Adele Johler Roupp -- 1966
            Jacksonville, FL

            P.S. -- Anyone else -- I got pictures of all the groups (except 1966) so if you want your picture, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you :):):):)
          • CraftonReunion
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
              Drug program reinstated by board
              By Amanda Hartle, Staff Writer
              http://www.gatewaynewspapers.com/signalitem/63890/
              Wednesday, August 2, 2006

              Gavels slammed and tempers flared in Crafton Borough as residents again pleaded with borough officials to rejoin a countywide drug program.

              But unlike the past few council meetings, where it seemed to some residents that their concerns with council's withdrawal from District Attorney's Narcotics Enforcement Team (DANET) went unheard, this time council responded. In the meeting's waning moments, council voted 7-0, with two members absent, to rejoin DANET.

              Council member Bill Ogden made the motion after two tense citizen comments sessions where five residents, including Sandy Burns, voiced their concerns. "We are a group of citizens who are working together to better our community not divide it. We came to council with our concerns about suspicious activity in our neighborhood and to find out the real reasons we are not participating in DANET," Burns said. She went on to say that the reasons, stated before by council as court costs, may be legitimate. But council did not provide accurate information to residents, she said. "We have yet to hear any tangible reasons that made sense to us."

              At a previous meeting, council was to pass information about other municipalities' involvement to residents but did not have the information. Instead, Mary Slusser, obtained the information herself, which contradicted previous statements council members made when they stated that DANET had no arrests in Crafton.

              In Crafton, the only borough to withdraw from DANET, there were 60 investigations and 27 arrests -- 10 were Crafton residents -- and 34 Crafton resident arrests in other boroughs, according to information Slusser obtained from the district attorney's office.

              Another resident, Joan Kury, spoke to surrounding police departments including Green Tree Borough, about their DANET involvement and program rewards other departments garnered. She relayed praise for the program for other police chiefs. To her, the costs of DANET, around $4,500 in 2004 and 2005, were minimal, but the rewards many, she said. Kury's demeanor went from frustrated to ecstatic after council's decision. "I feel great. I'm elated. When we withdrew from DANET, it was like putting out the red carpet for drug dealers. (Now), DANET is back. We're watching and we don't want them here. This is our borough and we deserve every possible protection, you can offer us," Kury said.

              The reinstatement of DANET comes barely a week after three arrests were made in a drug and prostitution case involving a home at 5 Lawson St. in Crafton. Crafton Police Chief Bud Rost said other arrests could be made in the case.

              Council member Nancy Koerbel, who along with Jack Donovan voted in January to continue the borough's DANET agreement with the county drug task force, thanked the residents for challenging the council to respond better to public concerns. "I hope it will be implemented to be as beneficial as possible," Koerbel said.

              Ogden over the past four meetings said the public made its case for DANET involvement. "They came in week after week with information. They were unsatisfied with council, and made that known. "We got to see how a function of democracy is to run. It's wonderful to see it in Crafton," Ogden said.

              About 100 Allegheny County police departments and more than 500 officers participate in DANET. The officers use undercover techniques and surveillance work to nab drug dealers and users.
            • ludicrissy@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
                --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "johler1966" <Adele.Roupp@...> wrote:

                > Cris -- I got my picture yesterday. Have you gotten yours yet??
                >
                > Adele Johler Roupp -- 1966
                > Jacksonville, FL

                Hi,

                In answer to Adele and others, I've still not received my reunion pics as of today, Wednesday, August 2nd.

                Cris Fuss Hueneke, '66
                Chicago 'burbs
              • mickeyinsc
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
                  I am married to Mickey (Marchinsky) Conners, Crafton "66"

                  We attended the 2006 reunion and I took pictures of the mixer and the reunion. If anyone would like a copy of them just email me at conners@... and I will be happy to email them to you.
                  Semper Fi

                  Mike Conners, New Kensington, '62
                  (Honorary Cougar by marriage)