Happenings Around Town

  • CraftonReunion
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2006
      * Carlynton School District

      -- The next week, or so, will wind up the 2005-06 school year. Here's a list of events in chronological order.

      June 1 ~ School Board Meeting
      June 2 ~ Scholar Athlete Recognition Night
      June 3 ~ White Elephant Garage Sale @ Crafton Elementary
      June 4 ~ White Elephant Garage Sale @ Crafton Elementary
      June 6 ~ HS Baccalaureate Service
      June 7 ~ Carnegie 6th Grade Graduation
      June 8 ~ Crafton 6th Grade Graduation
      June 9 ~ Carlynton HS Commencement

      * Carnegie

      -- Church of the Atonement (Episcopal), 618 Washington Ave., will have a strawberry festival from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday. Cost is $6 for adults and $3 for children 5-12. Those 4 or younger eat free. Dessert and beverage alone will be $3. There also will be a ticket auction.

      -- Razzle Dazzle, which showcases more than 150 students in different styles of dance, will be presented at 8 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at Andrew Carnegie Music Hall, 300 Beechwood Ave. Tickets will be $12 for adults and $8 for students and senior citizens. Call 412-279-8887 for information.

      * Crafton

      -- In an effort to help the borough of Crafton pay for its fireworks display on July 4th, this year, The Sharp Edge Restaurant at 288 West Steuben Street, next to the Thornburg Bridge, will donate $1 from every check each Wednesday during the month of June.

      -- Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., will be a special sign-up day for the summer reading program at Crafton Public Library, 140 Bradford Ave. Balloon animals will be made from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Preschoolers through high school seniors can participate in the program. For details, call 412-922-6877.

      -- CIT Baseball/Softball Association will hold a slow-pitch church softball tournament Aug. 1-15 at Meyer-Middleton Field Complex. Cost is $350 per team. All proceeds benefit the association. To register a church team, call 412-919-8541.

      -- The same professional firm that was appointed in March to perform building inspection services, Building Inspection Underwriters Inc., of Avalon, was chosen by a 6-2 vote May 24 as the borough's zoning officer. Council members Nancy Koerbel and Jack Donovan opposed the action.

      Ms. Koerbel questioned the benefit of using a professional firm to perform duties that previously had been done by a borough employee, Sam Skorich. Council President Ed Stewart noted that it was a cost-saving measure that would eliminate a salary and prevent residents from subsidizing everyone's home improvements. If council is not satisfied with the service in a 30-day period, the borough would select another firm or person.

      Noting that the borough still has vacancies for part-time summer positions with the Public Works Department, council President Ed Stewart said applications from non-borough residents would be considered.
    • Bill Cain
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1 1:40 AM
        It's amazing what you find when preparing for moving. You never know.....

        On a back shelf I found two single pieces of paper. They somehow spent the better part of a quarter-century, hidden away and alone, out of sight and mind.

        On top was a "Chieffe Gold Star Award," dated 11 June, 1963. I had forgotten even getting one. So, I always was 'envious' of those who mentioned getting one, on this forum. Now I can stand with my head held high!!!!

        Of course, I suspect everyone got one. LOL

        Underneath was a "Combat Action Ribbon; eligibility for," sheet from my records, dated 17 November 1969. Thank goodness not everyone has the 'privilege' of getting one of these.

        Both were in good shape. I think I'll have the Gold Star Award framed. It has stood the test of time. Thank you, Mr. Chieffe.

        Bill Cain, '65
        Long Island, NY