Courier signature generating Template Name banner???

  • Jack Charrette
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 4 7:31 AM
      I am a long term user of Courier and before that Calypso.

      I use signatures a lot.  We use to have a problem where occassionally the signature would have some type of banner on top of it that said Template name and maybe a attached image file name.

      Now this is occurring almost all of the time.

      I have no idea what it is or how to stop it or how to re-create it.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks

    • david
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 4 1:55 PM
        --- In CourierEmailForum@yahoogroups.com, Jack Charrette <jpcharrette2010@...> wrote:

        > I use signatures a lot.  We use to have a problem where occassionally the signature would have some type of banner on top of it that said Template name and maybe a attached image file name.
        >
        > Now this is occurring almost all of the time.

        Please share some more info. I'm assuming these are HTML signatures and that your default is HTML messages? If so, do you have any graphic in the sig file? I'm assuming you're referring to outgoing signatures. I assume you're using a template? And my assumptions may all be wrong. Thanks,
        david
      • Michael Shannon
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 4 3:38 PM
          > I use signatures a lot. We use to have a problem where occassionally the
          >signature would have some type of banner on top of it that said Template name
          >and maybe a attached image file name.
          >
          > Now this is occurring almost all of the time.

          Many email programs will have default text like a template name or placeholders
          in them when you first edit them. Perhaps someone edited a signature and forgot
          to remove this text?

          IIRC, both Calypso and Courier store their signatures in a plain-text file, or
          individual files for each sig, somewhere in the native directory tree. Have you
          tried looking at these to see if any of the odd text has crept in somehow?

          --
          Michael
        • Joseph Burke
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 4 4:36 PM
            Frankly I have been using courier since its inception and have never used
            signature templates. Here again ClipCache enters the picture. I have
            various sigfiles for the different "hats" I wear and each is callable from
            a simple keystroke combination, and i find this far more useful and
            flexible that sig files. sigs like this using ALT-G for example:
            ----
            Joseph Burke
            President/CEO
            InfiniSource, Inc.
            <jburke@...>
            http://www.infinisource.com/
            http://www.RoseCitySoftware.com/

            On 4/4/2011 at 3:38 PM Michael Shannon <mshannon_lsoft@...>
            wrote:

            >> I use signatures a lot. We use to have a problem where occassionally
            >the
            >>signature would have some type of banner on top of it that said Template
            >name
            >>and maybe a attached image file name.
            >>
            >> Now this is occurring almost all of the time.
            >

            >Many email programs will have default text like a template name or
            >placeholders
            >in them when you first edit them. Perhaps someone edited a signature and
            >forgot
            >to remove this text?
            >

            >IIRC, both Calypso and Courier store their signatures in a plain-text
            >file, or
            >individual files for each sig, somewhere in the native directory tree.
            >Have you
            >tried looking at these to see if any of the odd text has crept in somehow?
            >
            >--
            >Michael

          • Jack Charrette
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 5 4:50 AM
              Since the problem is intermittant even in the same execution for the same signature so I do not see how it could be a change to the files.

              I do not even know where these files would be kept to look at them.. Looked in Program files (x86) and on our G drive where we store the mailbox.

              > I use signatures a lot. We use to have a problem where occassionally the
              >signature would have some type of banner on top of it that said Template name
              >and maybe a attached image file name.
              >
              > Now this is occurring almost all of the time.

              Many email programs will have default text like a template name or placeholders
              in them when you first edit them. Perhaps someone edited a signature and forgot
              to remove this text?

              IIRC, both Calypso and Courier store their signatures in a plain-text file, or
              individual files for each sig, somewhere in the native directory tree. Have you
              tried looking at these to see if any of the odd text has crept in somehow?

              --
              Michael

            • Fran Hensler
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 5 5:49 AM
                I have also experienced changing signatures. I have signatures in both plain text and HTML. Only the HTML sigs get screwed up occasionally.

                /Fran

                Message 7 of 27 , May 5, 2011
                  Not default, There is no graphics. No Template (don't know what a template is)  I just go into the Signature folder, compose and type in a signature.  They normally have a link. The Show Rich Text is on. To insert the signature I right click in compose a msg, pick the signature.

                  I attached an image in the compose msg . Not sure if will get there.

                  Not using default signature.  I select the signature via right click.

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 9, 2011
                    --- In CourierEmailForum@yahoogroups.com, Jack Charrette <jpcharrette2010@...> wrote:

                    > Not default, There is no graphics. No Template (don't know what a template is)  I just go into the Signature folder, compose and type in a signature.  They normally have a link. The Show Rich Text is on. To insert the signature I right click in compose a msg, pick the signature.
                    >
                    > I attached an image in the compose msg . Not sure if will get there.

                    okay, I never used HTML much with courier, but I don't think Courier was designed to use HTML signatures. I did a brief test with build 1198 and if rich text is checked, the resulting sig inserts info about the courier version and more into the email. My guess is that this is what you're seeing. to fix this - assuming you do NOT want/need html signatures, just click on a sig to edit and click OFF the checkmark by richtext and save. This will restore Courier to creating plain text sig files. you can confirm this by re-editing a sig and checking to see that the checkmark is gone.

                    This is clearly a bug in my opinion. If HTML sigs aren't allowed, then the menu shouldn't allow them - but it does. If the problem suddenly 'appeared' then my guess is that you clicked the rich text option at some point and didn't realize that it, from then on, created this problem. anyway, that's my assessment.
                    david
                  • Jack Charrette
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 9, 2011
                      We DO want the html.  We have been using it without a problem for YEARS. Only recently has it started to put in the TemplateName bannor.

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                        --- In CourierEmailForum@yahoogroups.com, Jack Charrette <jpcharrette2010@...> wrote:

                        > We DO want the html.  We have been using it without a problem for YEARS. Only recently has it started to put in the TemplateName bannor.

                        Okay, my post then proves my unfamiliarity with Courier and HTML, but I at least know now that my 3.6 build 1198 on WinXP Pro SP3 won't do it (insert an HTML sig via rightclick menu.) You indicated that it suddenly stopped working. Do you recall changing anything? I have no idea how Courier and IE interact for HTML... did you upgrade IE to IE9? (although I don't know if that affects anything) - I have sometimes found that reinstalling Courier fixes some problems. it may be a waste of time, but you might try that.

                        I checked inserting an HTML sig via the dropdown menu and that seems to work okay in my version, but using the rightclick and insert menu adds unwanted text. I also found that I could create a template with HTML text and that also works. If there is certain boilerplate that you know you will insert into a message, one option might be to create templates for each of these scenarios and when beginning a message, insert the appropriate template. I know that's not what you want, but I don't know what changed to cause the problem. I have run out of suggestions. I hope you find a solution or can recall whatever may have changed.

                        On a humorous note, I discovered a bug in build 1198; I can't delete a sig. It 'looks like' it did, but it remains. I recall the bug I didn't like in build 1195 was that you couldn't delete an address book entry. I just checked and the sig bug is in 1195 too. Oh, well.
                        david
                      • Jack Charrette
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                          The HTML has worked fine wIth the links and even graphics from Right Click, signature. Just the banner keeps popping up.  It use to never happen, then occasionally now 100% of the time.  I think it might be related to file size or memory, etc.  The one thing that we did change recently was send attachments to a folder instead of in the box file. We get a lot of large files and it just gets too big too slow and I am pretty sure at 2Gigs it will die. (We are now at 1.4g but ever few months we delete old stuff).

                          We are running V 3.50.00 Bld 1098 on an 8G Win 7/64.

                          Still on MSIE 8.  I am afraid of updating until it is out longer.  I still have form problems with 8 (it does like long vertical text boxes in forms) and I am still on MSIE 7/XP on this machine.

                          Thanks for trying.

                          Message 12 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                            --- In CourierEmailForum@yahoogroups.com, Jack Charrette <jpcharrette2010@...> wrote:

                            > The HTML has worked fine wIth the links and even graphics from Right Click, signature. Just the banner keeps popping up.
                            .....<big snip>....

                            okay, try a reinstall. I did notice that if I insert a template the template name banner appears, which is what you described. somehow maybe your Courier is mixing up insert sig and insert template. Sounds crazy, but I've seen crazier.
                            david
                          • Jack Charrette
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                              I don't know about a re-install.  Last time it screwed me up asking for a key which I couldn't get.  I might try moving my mailbox file to another PC and try it there.

                              The signatures are not even new.  Old ones that use to work fine.  May be it is mixing up insert template with insert sig even though it is getting a sig and I have no templates. Even happens on pure text with no HTML.

                              Message 14 of 27 , May 13, 2011
                                --- In CourierEmailForum@yahoogroups.com, Jack Charrette <jpcharrette2010@...> wrote:

                                > I don't know about a re-install.  Last time it screwed me up asking for a key which I couldn't get.
                                >...<snip>...
                                on a separate note, if you're referring to your Courier registration code, I encourage you to ask for a copy while it still may be available. Sooner or later you'll need to reinstall it and I also encourage having several copies stored in different places. Fortunately the beta copies are available, but if you want the production 3.5 version you need the registration code.
                                david
                              • Jack Charrette
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 14, 2011
                                  The registration codes that we had do not work.  I has been about a year since the last re-install and I do not know what we re-installed it and what key was used.

                                  How do we get the beta versions?

                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 15, 2011
                                    --- In CourierEmailForum@yahoogroups.com, Jack Charrette <jpcharrette2010@...> wrote:

                                    > The registration codes that we had do not work.  I has been about a year since the last re-install and I do not know what we re-installed it and what key was used.
                                    >
                                    > How do we get the beta versions?

                                    The beta versions are on Yahoo group site in FILES section. The 1195 build and the 1198 build. 1198 was final build. I've used it since 2009. However, if you prefer to use 3.5, build 1098, I encourage you to contact rosecity and ask politely - they would need the name used for registration, your height, weight, religious affiliation, hair color and make of car... okay, maybe just your name -- and then be sure to make several copies. What I like about the beta versions is that they never expire.

                                    What I do NOT remember is whether the 3.5 mailbox is compatible with the 3.6 mailbox. My fuzzy memory tells me that I used both at the same time - maybe some kind soul will confirm that...
                                    david
                                  • Jack Charrette
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 30, 2011
                                      The banner now changed from an image type of contro to a text that looks like
                                      Date  4/23/2010 3:35 PM

                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 30, 2011
                                        The 'template banner' changed again from an image to text with this format
                                        Date:      4/23/2010 3:35 PM
                                        From:     red
                                        which appear to be multiple controls and harder to delete from the message.

                                        If this keeps up I will have to give up on courrier after many many years of using it.  My only alternative now is to delete old messages and see if the file size is screwing it up.

                                        Any ideas anyone?

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 31, 2011
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 31, 2011
                                            Did not re-install anything.
                                            Do not know where to get the beta from.
                                            I am very fearful about doing anything so drastic on my production system since it is no longer supporter and getting old versions is difficult.

                                            Unless you can tell me where to get it and I can try on another PC.

                                            I reduced the file size from 1.4G to just over 1 G by deleting many emails.

                                            I noticed that now there are multiple ways the signature can appear.
                                            1.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 31, 2011
                                              It went out before I was was ready.

                                              1. Sometimes the banner is not there.
                                              2. Sometimes the banner is the 1st way with a image of the name / date.
                                              3. Sometimes the banner is the 2nd way with what appears to be text in an image.
                                              4. Sometimes a combination of both.

                                              I did not reinstall anything since I am very fearful of loosing a somewhat working program.
                                              I do not know how to get the beta or any newer edition that what I have.

                                              > The 'template banner' changed again from an image to text with this format
                                              > Date:      4/23/2010 3:35 PM
                                              > From:     red
                                              > which appear to be multiple controls and harder to delete from the message.
                                              >
                                              > If this keeps up I will have to give up on courrier after many many years of using it.  My only alternative now is to delete old messages and see if the file size is screwing it up.
                                              >
                                              > Any ideas anyone?

                                              first, did you try a reinstall? that sometimes works.
                                              second, did you try a beta? the two can coexist if you specify a different directory during install.
                                              third, you mention the file size. if mailbox is very large, you might try archiving part of it.
                                              four, can you cut-and-paste what the sig file is supposed to look like and email it to me? Seeing what it's supposed to look like may help. and if there are graphics that are part of it, please include so I can attempt to recreate.

                                              I still prefer a total uninstall, clean registry of any entries and reinstall a clean version. You stated earlier that your sig used to work, so it still should. You also mentioned no other changes happened - it's either a reinstall or an export/import issue as best I can see.

                                              exporting/importing would be to use courex at http://www.laurencejackson.com/Courex/ to export all messages and to then import back. It's a bit messy, but you would have to do this if you abandoned Courier anyway. I would try this only if nothing else worked.

                                              Okay, I think this is 5 ideas: reinstall, install beta, archive parts of mailbox, send view of sig file, export and reimport mailbox. Maybe you've already tried all of these - what have you tried so far? good luck,
                                              david

                                            • Bob Schlesinger
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 31, 2011
                                                Banners have been showing up in my signature for quite a while.
                                                I have to manually delete the banner before sending.

                                                I have no idea what caused it either - it wasn't that way originally.

                                                -Bob

                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 31, 2011
                                                  --- In CourierEmailForum@yahoogroups.com, Jack Charrette <jpcharrette2010@...> wrote:

                                                  >...<snip>...
                                                  >
                                                  > Did not re-install anything.
                                                  > Do not know where to get the beta from.
                                                  > I am very fearful about doing anything so drastic on my production system since it is no longer supporter and getting old versions is difficult.
                                                  >
                                                  > Unless you can tell me where to get it and I can try on another PC.
                                                  >
                                                  > I reduced the file size from 1.4G to just over 1 G by deleting many emails.
                                                  >
                                                  > I noticed that now there are multiple ways the signature can appear.
                                                  > 1.

                                                  First, since it's the sig, my suggestion would be to remove the sig completely, compress the mailbox, and then reinstall the sig. That may do it. Simple, but worth a try. If that doesn't do it... then you're looking at a reinstall or a mailbox issue.

                                                  The latest beta, shown as davidscourierclassic1198, is in the FILEs section here on the Yahoo Courier site. Also, the last production courier35.exe is here, too. Assuming you want to retain your prod environment, I suggest downloading courier35.exe and install on a test PC. It will be a 30-day trial, but should let you test the mailbox. My guess is that this will show one of two options:
                                                  1. if it works, then a reinstall on prod machine will fix it
                                                  2. if it does not work, then there may be something corrupted in your mailbox.

                                                  let's take them one by one...
                                                  1.if it works, you need a reinstall. I respect your concern about a production machine. To protect yourself, you might:
                                                  a. backup the registry with the system restore function.
                                                  b. copy your courieremail directory and your mailbox to two media, such as two USB drives
                                                  c. use a tool such as the free revouninstaller (you can locate with a google search) to do the uninstall. This is a useful program because it tracks down all files and most registry entries.
                                                  d. reinstall the courier35.exe and enter your registration code.

                                                  If the install on test machine didn't work, the bug is likely in your mailbox. Since it's a sig causing the problem, I am a novice at that. My approach would be to use courex to export all the messages and addressbook and reimport them on TEST PC using the reinstalled version of Courier. If that works, then I would suggest
                                                  a. copy the new mailbox to prod machine (since you made two backups earlier) and see if that works.
                                                  b. if it doesn't, then the solution is a combination of the reinstall and the mailbox. follow above instructions to reinstall Courier.

                                                  I'm suggesting all of this remotely. I feel strongly if a person well-versed in Courier could touch your PC that it may be a quick fix. AND... I hope people reading this post don't assume that my approach is the only one. If others have suggestions, please share. I have no further ideas. good luck.
                                                  david
                                                • david
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 31, 2011
                                                    --- In CourierEmailForum@yahoogroups.com, Jack Charrette <jpcharrette2010@...> wrote:
                                                    >....<snip>...
                                                    > > If this keeps up I will have to give up on courrier after many many years of using it.  My only alternative now is to delete old messages and see if the file size is screwing it up.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Any ideas anyone?

                                                    A final thought, Jack...
                                                    You mentioned this is running on your production machine. Problems such as you are experiencing may continue and the only support available is this news group - no vendor, no developer, no patches or updates. To me, "production" is an important word. Long-term, I think your wise investment will be to upgrade to a supported product.

                                                    I realize you may interpret that as my pushing Poccomail. Not really; however for a production machine I always prefer software that has vendor support, not software that hasn't been updated in probably 8 years or more. There are a number of email clients that could probably meet your business needs, but Pocomail has one big advantage: there is active support and documentation for the upgrade itself. We've had hundreds of Courier users use our upgrade documentation and it's almost painless - and there is real support available for the upgrade, not just a user guide. If all the steps fail and if you're nervous about the production machine, this may be an opportune time to consider moving away from Courier. Just my two cents.
                                                    david
                                                  • Jack Charrette
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011
                                                      I had tried Poco but didn't like it that much.

                                                      I didn't that there was an easy way to get my courier folder, filters and signatures into it either.

                                                      Courier has been working OK until recently.

                                                      Would be willing to give it a try but email is our history for everything. Quotes, specifications, commitments, etc. etc.

                                                      We currently have 3 Courier mailboxes.  2 are for mostly incoming emails and the other for all active emails and it has about active 6 different email addresses and about 7 other inactive ones.

                                                      Can you tell me how to:
                                                      1.

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011
                                                        HMMM!!  Again it went out before I hit send.  Yuck

                                                        Can you tell me how to
                                                        1. Get the Courier mailbox into Poco with the emails, folders and filters.
                                                        2. How to be able to backup the mailbox and be able to open it in Poco without it starting to send/receive.  We now make a copy of the Courier mailbox, copy it to a backup folder open it and mark all accounts as paused (and compress it). Then we delete old emails.  If needed we go back to a backup mailbox (uncompress it) open it and search for anything we might need and perhaps send something to ourselves.

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011
                                                          --- In CourierEmailForum@yahoogroups.com, Jack Charrette <jpcharrette2010@...> wrote:

                                                          > HMMM!!  Again it went out before I hit send.  Yuck
                                                          >
                                                          > Can you tell me how to
                                                          > 1. Get the Courier mailbox into Poco with the emails, folders and filters.
                                                          > 2. How to be able to backup the mailbox and be able to open it in Poco without it starting to send/receive.  We now make a copy of the Courier mailbox, copy it to a backup folder open it and mark all accounts as paused (and compress it). Then we delete old emails.  If needed we go back to a backup mailbox (uncompress it) open it and search for anything we might need and perhaps send something to ourselves.

                                                          Well, I can't tell you everything, but at
                                                          http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/pocomail/ approx 2/3 down the page is a link to a quickstart and conversion guide. That includes two utility programs and step-by-step instructions. it's straightforward, but not magic. It converts email and addressbooks more completely (to my knowledge) than conversion tools from other clients, except possibly Thunderbird. For some, it's a 1 minute process; for others it's several hours depending on how they set up their addressbook. Courier is rather loose in that regard, whereas Pocomail and many other clients have many data elements to populate. Filters must be done manually. Pocomail is a powerful client and learning it well takes many weeks. A 'quick fix' it's not...

                                                          Pocomail may or may not be what you need, but it's an option. Prior to spending time converting, I suggest you try Pocomail (and possibly other clients) at a personal level and mimic some of the steps you do now with Courier. The quick start guide explains many Courier-like processes.

                                                          I'm assuming you tried removing the sig files and reinstalling Courier and those steps didn't work? That's still where I would try first. Good luck,
                                                          david