Unicode support

  • "Ren� Kurpershoek"
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2005
      When I receive messages containing, e.g., the euro sign, like the one between the following brackets: [�] (in case it does not come across), it sometimes shows up as <"a-circumflex">-<comma>-<logical NOT sign>. When I see what character encoding was used, it turns out to be UTF-8. I cannot find UTF-8 in the list of character sets.

      Does Courier support UTF-8 character encoding? If not, how long will Courier users have to wait until UTF-8 is supported?

      Ren� Kurpershoek

      mailto: rene.kurpershoek@...
    • Gerard Seibert

        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2005
          Using good old Calypso (3.3) I saw the following:

          .. In the posting of Rene, I saw a genuine euro sign between brackets
          .. In the (reply) posting of Gerard, I saw a: open-bracket, a-circumflex, comma, logical-NOT, close-bracket

          I saw this in the preview pane as well as in a separate mail-message window. The default character-coding I use is U.S. ASCII

          grtz,
          Wybe

          *** Gerard wrote:
          >This is the euro sign, [���] also inside of square brackets.
        • Ed Pulliam
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2005
            Using latest build of COURIER set to US ASCII character set, I saw the same
            as reported below.

            --
            Ed L. Pulliam
            Home of OUI, The Offline Usenet Interface, a superb news group reader

            >Using good old Calypso (3.3) I saw the following:
            >
            >.. In the posting of Rene, I saw a genuine euro sign between brackets
            >.. In the (reply) posting of Gerard, I saw a: open-bracket, a-circumflex,
            >comma, logical-NOT, close-bracket
            >
            >I saw this in the preview pane as well as in a separate mail-message
            >window. The default character-coding I use is U.S. ASCII
            >
            >grtz,
            >Wybe
            >

            >*** Rene wrote:
            >>the euro sign, like the one
            >>between the following brackets: [€] (in case it does not come across),
            >
            >*** Gerard wrote:
            >>This is the euro sign, [€] also inside of square brackets.

            ********* END OF QUOTED MESSAGE *********
          • Gerard Seibert

              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                Hi,

                The euro sign sent out by me came back fine from you.

                You were using Becky as your email client and

                Replies so far, a tour of Courier's options, and thundering silence on the part of Rose City have convinced me that Courier does not support UTF-8 non-standard characters.

                Is Cite Rosy English? No, I suppose not. Pun intended, failed miserably.

                Ren� Kurpershoek
              • PIIHKMXICYVN@spammotel.com
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                  Sorry if this should be either totallay off or understood (I missed the start of this thread and I'm to lazy to browse the archive): I receive Gerards message like this

                  >This is the euro sign, [EUR] also inside of square brackets.

                  It appears that somewhere the euro sign got replaced with the three letters EUR.

                  Manfred
                • "René Kurpershoek"
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                    PIIHKMXICYVN@... schreef op 4-5-2005 om 10.13:

                    >Sorry if this should be either totallay off or understood (I missed the
                    >start of this thread and I'm to lazy to browse the archive): I receive
                    >Gerards message like this
                    >
                    >>This is the euro sign, [EUR] also inside of square brackets.
                    >
                    >It appears that somewhere the euro sign got replaced with the three
                    >letters EUR.

                    I guess this (from the header of your message) is what did it:

                    René Kurpershoek