Re: [Coulda-Been-Country] Re: Jaye P. Morgan

  • Larry Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2010
      Glad to learn of your recollections about Jaye P., JD.

      I didn't know Col. Parker had a sentimental bone in his body. Guess I was just suspicious of the timing of Elvis' record. No one had seemingly thought about "Are You Lonesome Tonight" for a decade, then just after Jaye P.'s near hit on it, here comes Elvis with the same song.

      Sure, use the songs anyway you'd like. A net friend says that Jaye P. hung around with Gov. Jimmie Davis and his group, while he was in the mansion at Baton Rouge. I don't know what her involvement with Penny was except they were both on RCA Victor.

      Funny, but I have no memory of the Gong Show. Was that Barris' show?

      The record I used to play over and over was her duet with Eddy on "If'n". Didn't know Arnold could sing that fast. Shows what two old pros can do when given a fun song.

      Anyone ever heard of the Morgan Brothers? Another Morgan that was popular around the same time was Jane Morgan, best remembered for the song "Fascination". But she was born Jane Currier in Boston, so she couldn't have been related. In 1970, Jane Morgan did the novelty "A Girl Named Johnny Cash".

      Larry Davis

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 18, 2010
        Singing Star Dust with her brothers
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1RltuXCo9s

        Gong Show ( It was Chuck Barris's Show. )
        Popsicles ( Jaye P. said this is how she got her start. )
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUkzIx382mM

        Some parts were blocked from the TV audience.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq3oKdY67u8

        I posted Fan It just now at the Trad group. Thank you.

        Tom Parker was only sentimental about money and he gambled it all away.
        I think his wife wanted Elvis to record Are You Lonesome Tonight.

        --- In Coulda-Been-Country@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Davis" <larryonline@...> wrote:

        > Glad to learn of your recollections about Jaye P., JD.
        >
        > I didn't know Col. Parker had a sentimental bone in his body. Guess I was just suspicious of the timing of Elvis' record. No one had seemingly thought about "Are You Lonesome Tonight" for a decade, then just after Jaye P.'s near hit on it, here comes Elvis with the same song.
        >
        > Sure, use the songs anyway you'd like. A net friend says that Jaye P. hung around with Gov. Jimmie Davis and his group, while he was in the mansion at Baton Rouge. I don't know what her involvement with Penny was except they were both on RCA Victor.
        >
        > Funny, but I have no memory of the Gong Show. Was that Barris' show?
        >
        > The record I used to play over and over was her duet with Eddy on "If'n". Didn't know Arnold could sing that fast. Shows what two old pros can do when given a fun song.
        >
        > Anyone ever heard of the Morgan Brothers? Another Morgan that was popular around the same time was Jane Morgan, best remembered for the song "Fascination". But she was born Jane Currier in Boston, so she couldn't have been related. In 1970, Jane Morgan did the novelty "A Girl Named Johnny Cash".
        >
        > Larry Davis

      • colinkilgour
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 19, 2010
          Surely Elvis' "Are You Lonesome Tonight" was pretty much a carbon copy of the earlier version by Al Jolson?

          In England, Jane Morgan had good sales on 2 terrific songs - were these known in North America?

          The Day The Rains Came
          If Only I Could Live My Life Again

          from memory, both translations from the French (the first at least, from Gilbert Becaud)

          Other JM songs which were terrific were Romantica, Two Different Worlds and Bacharach's With Open Arms with which Adam Faith hit in the UK

          Colin:

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 19, 2010
            "Two Different Worlds" gave Roger Williams first billing here. It just missed the top 40. "Romantica" and "If Only I Could Live My Life Again" remained album tracks only. The others you list were significant hits in the U.S.

            You didn't mention "Fascination" which reached #7 and was Jane Morgan's biggest hit here. It stayed on the chart for 29 weeks, probably due to it being a theme from the Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn film "Love In The Afternoon".

            Larry Davis

            Surely Elvis' "Are You Lonesome Tonight" was pretty much a carbon copy of the earlier version by Al Jolson?

            In England, Jane Morgan had good sales on 2 terrific songs - were these known in North America?

            The Day The Rains Came
            If Only I Could Live My Life Again

            from memory, both translations from the French (the first at least, from Gilbert Becaud)

            Other JM songs which were terrific were Romantica, Two Different Worlds and Bacharach's With Open Arms with which Adam Faith hit in the UK

            Colin:
            --- In Coulda-Been-Country@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Davis" <larryonline@...> wrote:

            > Glad to learn of your recollections about Jaye P., JD.
            >
            > I didn't know Col. Parker had a sentimental bone in his body. Guess I was just suspicious of the timing of Elvis' record. No one had seemingly thought about "Are You Lonesome Tonight" for a decade, then just after Jaye P.'s near hit on it, here comes Elvis with the same song.
            >
            > Sure, use the songs anyway you'd like. A net friend says that Jaye P. hung around with Gov. Jimmie Davis and his group, while he was in the mansion at Baton Rouge. I don't know what her involvement with Penny was except they were both on RCA Victor.
            >
            > Funny, but I have no memory of the Gong Show. Was that Barris' show?
            >
            > The record I used to play over and over was her duet with Eddy on "If'n". Didn't know Arnold could sing that fast. Shows what two old pros can do when given a fun song.
            >
            > Anyone ever heard of the Morgan Brothers? Another Morgan that was popular around the same time was Jane Morgan, best remembered for the song "Fascination". But she was born Jane Currier in Boston, so she couldn't have been related. In 1970, Jane Morgan did the novelty "A Girl Named Johnny Cash".

          • Norm Perry
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 19, 2010
              Jane Morgan, not to be confused with Jaye P. Morgan the original "subject" of this message, was born in Boston and raised in Florida. She became popular in France before achieving fame as a TV and nightclub singer in the U.S.
              Her biggest hit in the U.S. was "Fascination" which had a 29 week chart run in 1957 peaking at #7.
              Her other U.S. chart hits were:
              -- TWO DIFFERENT WORLDS in 1956 with pianist Roger Williams, 12 weeks peaking at #41
              -- THE DAY THE RAINS CAME in 1958 for 15 weeks peaking at #21
              -- WITH OPEN ARMS in 1959 for 11 weeks peaking at #39
              -- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY in 1959 for 9 weeks peaking at #57

              Her "Fascination" hit, BTW, was billed as Jane Morgan & The Troubadours. She died in 1974.

              :-)) Norm :-))

              Surely Elvis' "Are You Lonesome Tonight" was pretty much a carbon copy of the earlier version by Al Jolson?

              In England, Jane Morgan had good sales on 2 terrific songs - were these known in North America?

              The Day The Rains Came
              If Only I Could Live My Life Again

              from memory, both translations from the French (the first at least, from Gilbert Becaud)

              Other JM songs which were terrific were Romantica, Two Different Worlds and Bacharach's With Open Arms with which Adam Faith hit in the UK

              Colin

              --- In Coulda-Been-Country@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Davis" <larryonline@...> wrote:

              > Glad to learn of your recollections about Jaye P., JD.
              >
              > I didn't know Col. Parker had a sentimental bone in his body. Guess I was just suspicious of the timing of Elvis' record. No one had seemingly thought about "Are You Lonesome Tonight" for a decade, then just after Jaye P.'s near hit on it, here comes Elvis with the same song.
              >
              > Sure, use the songs anyway you'd like. A net friend says that Jaye P. hung around with Gov. Jimmie Davis and his group, while he was in the mansion at Baton Rouge. I don't know what her involvement with Penny was except they were both on RCA Victor.
              >
              > Funny, but I have no memory of the Gong Show. Was that Barris' show?
              >
              > The record I used to play over and over was her duet with Eddy on "If'n". Didn't know Arnold could sing that fast. Shows what two old pros can do when given a fun song.
              >
              > Anyone ever heard of the Morgan Brothers? Another Morgan that was popular around the same time was Jane Morgan, best remembered for the song "Fascination". But she was born Jane Currier in Boston, so she couldn't have been related. In 1970, Jane Morgan did the novelty "A Girl Named Johnny Cash".
              Click here to share my September 2009 downloads:
              http://www.mediafire.com/folder/d96dbe089ad92bbdf6ab21cf94527865957b31f4565e9b97
              **COPYRIGHT NOTICE**
              In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this message is distributed under fair use without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for non-profit research and educational or criticism purposes only.

            • colinkilgour
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 20, 2010
                Thanks for the feedback, to Larry and Norm. Jane was a lovely singer

                That 'Two Different Worlds' song was a beaut and I also enjoyed versions by John Gary and our Ronnie Hilton