Jim Croce

  • Colin Kilgour
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2010
      Here's some wonderful Jim Croce material, an artist who doesn't appear on List D/Ls too often

      Just about all of his best here I think. If anyone has 'Greenback Dollar' by him, that's one |I would like to hear

      31 tracks, available as individuals or as a zipped file of all titles (152MB)

      http://www.mediafire.com/?nqjdej1ihrbob

      A Careful Man

      Age

      Alabama Rain

      Bad, Bad Leroy Brown

      Box #10

      Chain Gang Medley

      Dreamin' Again

      Hey Tomorrow

      I Got A Name

      I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song

      It Doesn't Have To Be That Way

      Lover's Cross

      Narrative by Jim Croce

      Next Time, This Time

      Ol' Man River

      One Less Set Of Footsteps

      Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels)

      Photographs And Memories

      Rapid Boy (The Stock Car Boy)

      Recently

      Roller Derby Queen

      Salon and Saloon

      Stone Walls

      The Hard Way Every Time

      These Dreams

      Thursday

      Time In A Bottle

      Top Hat Bar And Grill

      Walkin' Back to Georgia

      Workin' At The Car Wash Blues

      You Don't Mess Around With Jim

    • Clyde McDonnell
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 17 9:28 AM

      I first heard Jim Croce sing and play, while I was attending college in Philadelphia, Pa.  He was playing at "The Riddle Paddock" which was about 30 -35 minutes from downtown Philly.  He played and sang Country, Blues, and Folk songs. I was impressed with his performances.

      Attached you will find his "Time In A Bottle" and his performance of "Gunga Din", my favorite poem by Rudyard Kipling.

      Clyde
    • Larry Davis
      Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17 5:38 PM
        After he was killed in a plane crash at age 30 in Sept. 1973, he finally got one song to chart country. That was "I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song".

        I didn't find anything about his music to be country but by '74 country music as I knew it was rapidly disappearing anyway.

        I can't say "Gunga Din" is my favorite it's just the only one I had to memorize in school. I still know the beginning by heart: "In Gunga Din did Kubla Khan his stately pleasure dome decree. Where Alf the sacred river ran, through caverns measureless to man, down to the sunless sea." Not sure about all the spelling but for whatever reason that bit of poetry stuck with me.

        Larry Davis

            Message 7 of 8 , Apr 17 7:05 PM

              I was a young boy when I saw the movie "Gunga Din".  For many years I would watch it in the theater and on TV,  About 6 years ago, I got an AVI file of the movie.  I watch the movie on an average of one every 4 or 5 weeks.

              Clyde

              Message 8 of 8 , Apr 18 9:10 AM
              In February 1997, a friend and I arrived
              in San Diego a couple of days early
              for a meeting the next week.
              We were walking around in the late afternoon
              and learned that the San Diego Mardi Gras parade
              was coming by in a half hour or so.
              Hey!
              We would wait to find a place to eat.
              The parade came by.
              Maybe 4 floats, a band, cars with big-shots,
              some marchers - maybe 15 minutes.
              We were expecting a mini-New Orleans MG parade,
              not a micro-. It was free.
              So we wandered on up the street
              and heard some nice live acoustic blues
              coming out of one place.
              Hey!
              When we were reading the details
              in the menu after ordering our meals,
              we learned that it was Jim Croce's widow's place.
              If it's still there, we recommend it: music and food.
              The next day we toured every part
              of the San Diego Zoo, opened and closed it.
              Also recommended.

              Speaking of Kubla Khan, many don't realize
              that he was Genghis Khan's grandson,
              a Mongol and not a Chinese.
              Speaking of Mongols,
              for some different music,
              search YouTube for
              Mongolian throat singers
              or
              Tuvan throat singers
              for some different _country_ music.

              That same February I was in Tel Aviv
              for another meeting. I found myself
              with an hour to browse a music store
              and found a Tuvan throat singing CD.
              Huh?
              When I got back to my hotel room
              I realized it was a Shanachie CD
              that I could have bought for half the price
              at the Shanachie/Yazoo warehouse
              in Newton, NJ about 20 miles north
              of here in Chester, NJ.

              Ron McConnell