review on everyones web pages

  • eleanorkeene@start.com.au
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2001
      Hi there everyone. Firstly I'd like to say sorry I haven't got back
      with my class reviews until now, I have been ill and away in the
      country and when I arrived home I found our computer was off line. I
      am presently on leave from work, but have come in today to review
      everyone's fantastic web pages and post this report.

      There are quite a few students involved in this course and couldn't
      choose only two to review so in following the style in some of the
      other reports I have chosen to write a small comment on all those
      enrolled.

      Jessica-
      Great Detail in your photos, especially due to the fact you took them
      in your local fabric shop. What a great idea to go and use their
      mannequin. The link arrows that move you from one picture to the next
      work really well. It must have been lovely to work on a garment with
      such strong family connections. An interesting note there about the
      alterations, due to the modesty of your grandfather, from what I
      understand views of that kind were quite common, at that time.
      Really interesting info on the pattern designer. I have never heard
      of her before. And what a lucky find, to find a garment by your
      designer on ebay!
      -Well done.

      Jean-
      What a fantastic reference of images of swing coats or swagger coats
      as you so rightly call them, that must have taken a lot of research!
      I am a big fan of early fashion illustrations. When I was at high
      school I used to scour the second hand shops on my walk up to my dads
      office, collecting old patterns, as the illustrations fascinated me.
      I also found your web page really easy to follow
      And I was really impressed with your pattern.

      Julia G -
      Interesting garment, fantastic detail shots, love the pink gingham
      lining!
      It's interesting that you noted that your garment was "crudely sewn"
      I think our standard of dressmaking - in finish has become much
      higher. I thought the same of my study garment until I looked at a
      collection of other garments from the Victorian Period and found that
      the crude finishing was actually quite normal.
      On a negative note, I find your web site quite frustrating, by the
      way you have to go through all your past assignments to get to your
      Study garment.
      Have you thought about putting a contents page up front with Links on
      it?

      Emily-
      I couldn't find a study garment assignment posted on your site, if
      it's there, I'm sorry I missed it.

      Laurie-
      Great pictures. I liked the way you have detailed descriptions next
      to each picture. Your pattern was beautiful. Well scanned and easy to
      understand. Your notes about sizing were interesting too.

      Julia W -
      I have to say yours Julia is my favourite piece. Beautifully cut and
      constructed.
      You are very lucky to own such a garment and to have access to study
      it up close. My Victorian study garment is owned by the Museum here,
      and I was lucky enough to be able to take it out of the draw, there
      was no way I had the access to set it up on a mannequin.
      The pocket on your jacket is so small, but typical of the time I
      feel, won't do for today's modern women!

      Theodora-
      Interesting garment choice. Quite different from the rest. I am in no
      way doubting your garment came from the 50's, but it is interesting
      to note that garments in the same style are still being made today. I
      have also seen fabric over the last couple of years in Sydney's China
      town of the same design as your smoking jacket. Quite a classic
      design.
      Smoking jackets are such a funning idea. I presently work in a
      costume hire shop on Saturdays and we often hire out smoking jackets
      for playboy parties!

      Sandy- although sandy is not enrolled I have to mention her page. I
      love it. It really stands out in design, with lovely big easy to read
      text and the family photos and history is beautiful.

      Tara- Sorry I have not yet written my thoughts on the course I should
      have them to you in the next couple of days, but all in all I've
      really enjoyed the course. I hope that we all stay in touch. Thank
      you for being such a wonderful teacher.

      -Eleanor Keene
    • julia.greger@faidor.de
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2001
        Hi Eleanor,

        you´ve certainly put some effort into reviewing everyones page. Thank
        you for all your feedback! I shall have to wait until Wednesday when
        I´m back at the office (we had a public holiday), my home computer
        connection refuses to look at some of the websites and is a bit
        fragile, anyway.
        I am still not quite happy with my webpage, might change the entire
        setup eventually. But the link to the indiviual pages is there - you
        just have to scroll down when the first page opens.
        Ref. your comment about crudely sewn garments: guess you´re right,
        and on second thought all these garment survived decades of constant
        wear and tear. Which modern clothing item will last that long?
        Giulia
      • eleanorkeene@start.com.au
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2001
          Hey there you go, I've never tried to scroll down your first opening
          page, as it looks so complete. Silly me.

        • eleanorkeene@start.com.au
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2001
            Hey there you go, I've never tried to scroll down your first opening
            page, as it looks so complete. Silly me.

            --- In CostumeHistoryClass@y..., julia.greger@f... wrote:
            > Hi Eleanor,
            >
            > you´ve certainly put some effort into reviewing everyones page.
            Thank
            > you for all your feedback! I shall have to wait until Wednesday
            when
            > I´m back at the office (we had a public holiday), my home computer
            > connection refuses to look at some of the websites and is a bit
            > fragile, anyway.
            > I am still not quite happy with my webpage, might change the entire
            > setup eventually. But the link to the indiviual pages is there -
            you
            > just have to scroll down when the first page opens.
            > Ref. your comment about crudely sewn garments: guess you´re right,
            > and on second thought all these garment survived decades of
            constant
            > wear and tear. Which modern clothing item will last that long?
            > Giulia
          • Julia Wakeling
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2001
              Eleanor,
              Thaks for the kind review of my website. I can't wait until you have a
              chance to see the one I and my son are working on to show all of the
              originals in my collection. I will keep you posted about it.
              Julia Wakeling