DONE! DONE! DONE!

  • jlc5f@virginia.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2001
      Can you tell I'm happy? (Not because I haven't enjoyed the class, but
      because the stress of homework was beginning to tell on me!)

      Anyway, I think I have finished all the assignments. Check out my
      website; in particular, see the Turn of the Century project, my final
      draft of my Study Garment project, and my miscellaneous photos page
      (just some stuff I found as I was going through magazines and couldn't
      just LEAVE!).

      In a few minutes, after I've caught my breath, I will make comments
      and such about the class - Tara, did you want these on the message
      board or directly to you? -- Jean
    • Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2001

        > In a few minutes, after I've caught my breath, I will make comments
        > and such about the class - Tara, did you want these on the message
        > board or directly to you? -- Jean

        Whichever makes you more comfortable. As you may guess from the public
        nature of the "quizlet" poll boxes, I'm OK by anybody knowing the
        results. However, if there is anything you don't feel comfortable
        posting to the general readership, just send it to me directly.

        --
        ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
        Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 29, 2001
          > Anyway, I think I have finished all the assignments. Check out my
          > website; in particular, see the Turn of the Century project, my
          final
          > draft of my Study Garment project, and my miscellaneous photos page
          > (just some stuff I found as I was going through magazines and
          couldn't
          > just LEAVE!).

          I'm really impressed by your final report. You have assembled a
          tremendous timeline of images of the evolution of the style. The
          pattern is intriguingly complex, not something that is
          instantly apparent from the photos. I very much hope you will keep
          this page up and running so I can link to it from my 20th century
          links pages.

          As to your nifty "Miscellanious Pictures":
          "1939 --- I thought this dress was an interesting couturier design,
          which harkens back to the side panniers
          of the 16th and 17th centuries. -- Vogue Pattern Book (v.15, no.1),
          October-November, 1939, p.
          42."

          I suspect it may partly have been inspired by the film "Gone With the
          Wind" which premiered in 1939

          "Does anyone else remember the Maidenform bra ads?" YES!! they were
          quite surreal for the 50's and 1960's. And they were such a good
          standard "joke" phrase to use whenever you were doing something quite
          dull and unglamorous: "I dreamed I was cleaning the toilet in my
          maidenform bra" I show them to students and they get so amused.

          Neckcloths:

          You did four? You managed four? Yes, I would say that having
          everyone's previous experience did help! Nicely done ties too...