I am interested in the History of Fashion because...

  • virginchit@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 21, 2001
      I have always been a history junkie. I am a teacher (English,
      Library, Art) and would like to incorporate this into my art history
      segment. As any archeologist can tell you, a culture is defined by
      its artifacts.
    • Rachel Blackwell
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 23, 2005
        My name is Rachel Blackwell and I am a theatre major at UAF. I have always
        been interested in history and in high school it was one of my favorite
        subjects. What I find fascinating about history is the stories of
        individual people that made an impact. I love biographical histories. I
        also find it interesting, as Tara mentioned, that there are so many
        different histories, depending on the source. I am interested in the
        History of Fashion because it seems like a good way to get a good picture
        of what people were like at many different times. I think your clothes are
        very personal and say a lot about who you are. So that is who I am and why
        I am here.

        Rachel Blackwell
      • tudor_chic
        Message 3 of 22 , May 13 4:44 PM
          I've always been fascinated by historical costume; when I was in grade
          school, I always paid more attention to the clothes people were
          wearing in the pictures of my textbook, rather than the actual
          information! Since then, I'm getting ready to graduate from my
          university with a B.A. in general history, but I still love the
          history of fashion and would love to work on that topic for a Master's
          thesis. I've never been able to take a class based solely on
          historical fashion, so I was really excited to find this class online.

          As for clothes, the time period I enjoy studying best is from the
          Renaissance to the late 18th century in Europe. I'm really looking
          forward to completing this class; it looks like a lot of fun.
        • misswisc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , May 14 6:52 AM
            I want to welcome all those who've recently joined us...

            This "class" is a self-paced experience and this mailing list is a
            place for you to share what you've learned and get feedback/brainstorm
            with colleagues. It was developed by Tara Maginnis, PhD, who taught at
            University of Alaska at Fairbanks and is well known among costume
            circles as the creator and caretaker of the "Costumer's Manifesto." I
            encourage you to use www.costumes.org as a reference for the class and
            to email Tara with any broken links you may find, as well as
            suggestions for additions. Tara is caring for a family member at the
            present time and isn't as involved with the class as she was formerly,
            but I'm certain she'll read everything posted and share as she has time
            to do so.

            I'm Kristi from Wisconsin and I work as an IATSE stagehand at several
            venues. I've also taught theatre K-12 and am very familiar with Theatre
            for Young Audiences. I took the class when it was still offered for
            credit by UAF.

            SO... onto the next assignment. No time frame, post as you are able!

            Kristi
          • susanjbloom
            Message 5 of 22 , May 16 8:44 AM
              I am attending Pratt Institute's Graduate School in Library and Information Sciences. Within
              the body of my masters, I am taking an art librarianship certificate. While I have learned
              various aspects of art history in the past, I have not studied the history of fashion seriously. I
              believe it will be a valuable addition to my body of knowledge and help me professionally. In
              addition, on a personal level, I LOVE CLOTHES!
            • Bonnie
              Message 6 of 22 , May 19 8:06 PM
                Costuming was part of my upbringing, as my father was an avid member of
                a reenacting group, and is a costumer for others in the association.
                Dressing up for family vacations was the norm. In ninth grade I
                discovered my passion for theatre, and went to school for theatre
                design after high school. However, I never tried costuming
                specifically until I found a job at a wonderful theatre as a Costume
                Shop Manager; I've been there for almost a decade now. I've always
                loved learning and have had no real training in costuming, I only know
                what I've learned from years of volunteer and work experience in
                theatre. I'm looking forward to following a structured format to learn
                some of the basics I have missed along the way.
              • Fay
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 26, 2008
                  --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie"
                  <avgsuperheroine@...> wrote:
                  > I've always
                  > loved learning and have had no real training in costuming, I only
                  know
                  > what I've learned from years of volunteer and work experience in
                  > theatre. I'm looking forward to following a structured format to
                  learn
                  > some of the basics I have missed along the way.

                  Absolutely with you there. There are all sorts of tips and tricks that
                  someone, a few hundred years ago, worked out and as soon as someone
                  points it out you slap your forehead and say 'of course - why didn't I
                  think of that?'
                  Working out how to cut a (something) to make it fall a particular way
                  is always much easier when you've seen how other people cut it. It
                  takes so much less fabric learning from other people's mistakes!

                  Fay
                • fleur_de_lis_99
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 21, 2008
                    I am currently preparing for a masquerade ball, where the guests are
                    asked to arrive in 14th-18th century apparel. While I have always
                    been an avid history buff, I was totally unprepared for the vast
                    amounts of information on historical clothing and costumes that is
                    available! I have spent many enjoyable hours researching the right
                    lace to add to my farthingale, the right color of wool for my cloak,
                    the proper ribbon for my bodice, etc. Learning about what men and
                    women - royal or peasant - wore in their daily lives helps me to
                    understand their world, and ultimately allows me to gain a deeper
                    appreciation of history.
                  • maureen_vandenburgh
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 28, 2009
                      I loved constructing my own clothes when I was preteen/teenager because I could get more bang for my buck and it was a great escape. I attended FIT in NYC and discovered the world of textiles and design. Paying my bills took my attention away from clothes until I lived in Tokyo for a few years and my interest was renewed by the exciting things happening in Tokyo with textiles and youthful expression through clothes. I now work as a social worker and thought this class would be a great way to forget about the troubles I see all day and remind me of an early love - clothing, textiles ad self expression.
                    • ashleyelisabeth22
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 21, 2010
                        I am a huge fashion enthusiast. I enjoy expressing myself through fashion and am also intrigued by the development and following of trends in fashion. It is very interesting to me to see how these trends reflect the cultural conditions and historical events of the time. I feel that studying the development of fashion throughout history will give me a chance to more fully investigate the conditions that influence fashion trends.
                      • varette
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 10, 2010
                          I am interested in learning about the history of clothing itself: why clothes matter apart from the primary need to cover the naked body to its development as a fashion statement in today's day and age. I love history as well and this course will enable me to combine that love with the need to understand fashion.
                        • suhasinitnj
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 22, 2010
                            I am interested in the History of Fashion because i am intrigued by whole process of evolution of fashion, clothing and design. I believe that fashion is greatly influenced by the socio political and economic status of a place at a particular time. I want to know more about this process of evolution of design.
                          • k2robert
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 9, 2010
                              I am a history major who has always loved period clothing. I'm also an aspiring fashion writer and I think it's important to know where fashion began in order to write about where it is going now.
                            • millie5pac
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 26, 2010
                                I am interested in the History of Fashion because I am curious about the story behind the clothes. Why do clothes matter? Why do they influence my feelings about myself or how I feel toward others?
                                I love creating costumes or putting together a wardrobe. I used to hate it. But I am starting to learn some of the mechanics that take the mystery out of it. This has increased my desire to understand why people wear what they wear. Of course some of it is function. But there must be other reasons as well. I am hoping this course will answer some of my questions.
                              • hexella7
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 3, 2010
                                  I am interested in the History of Fashion because I work in the fashion industry, and knowing the history helps me to connect to the spirit of the different times through clothing. I feel this helps me to understand, in a way, how people viewed the world, their world, and overall feelings and thoughts of the times throughout history.
                                • monikagbutterfly@verizon.net
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 7, 2010
                                    I am interested in the History of Fashion because I want to design/construct costumes that accurately reflect the period of a play/character. I am intrigued by Tara's definition of history as informed by gender, age, class, etc. and am looking forward to Her/story of Fashion.

                                    Monika
                                  • monikagbutterfly@verizon.net
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 7, 2010
                                      I am interested in the History of Fashion because I want to design/construct costumes that accurately reflect the period of a play/character. I am intrigued by Tara's definition of history as informed by gender, age, class, etc. and am looking forward to Her/story of Fashion.

                                      Monika
                                    • claytj4eva
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 19, 2010
                                        I am interested in the History of Fashion because I am interested in how fashion became what it is today. Countries all over the world have their own sense of style, and recently I've seen cultures influencing modern trends. Do designers create their own image? Or do they simply "borrow" from other inspirations and just add their own little touch to it? Is it just about giving and receiving? You give out your own creative ideas through your work as a trade off from receiving ideas from others. I am hoping this course will give me more insight on the world of fashion and help me become more knowledgeable in the field.

                                        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "millie5pac" <camillepack@...> wrote:

                                        > I am interested in the History of Fashion because I am curious about the story behind the clothes. Why do clothes matter? Why do they influence my feelings about myself or how I feel toward others?
                                        > I love creating costumes or putting together a wardrobe. I used to hate it. But I am starting to learn some of the mechanics that take the mystery out of it. This has increased my desire to understand why people wear what they wear. Of course some of it is function. But there must be other reasons as well. I am hoping this course will answer some of my questions.

                                      • down_jfnio
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 9, 2010
                                          I'm interested in fashion because well I've been in to it since i was little. now I'm in my 4th year I'm college and currently in my thesis i joined this group so i could know more about fashion history and incorporate it in my thesis
                                        • chulme89
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 7 2:04 AM
                                            I am interested in the History of Fashion because I have a passion for costume and clothing, and hope one day to work in the field of costume design. In studying the history of costume I'd like to broaden my knowledge and ignite my imagination.
                                          • cbmonda
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                                              I like it. I enjoy learning about the creativity it takes to change trends, the genius behind constructions that change daily life, and pure artistry of great clothing design. Additionally, I want to understand how fashion has evolved over time and how we as a society have arrived at our current situation. Studying the history of how we dress illuminates the answers to important questions surrounding societal normalities, priorities, and interests. Hopefully, as the study of all sorts of histories do, the study of fashion history will cast a light on the path forward. As a society, where are we going next? Is this a place we want to go, and if not, can we change it?
                                            • aduriaud
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 21, 2013

                                                ...clothes tell stories. From my first pair of real, buckled winkle picker boots to the global mash-up of contemporary recording artist M.I.A.'s colourful look I’ve found meaning, power and even solace in the sometimes infuriatingly frivolous, always fascinating languages of fashion and style. And I’m not alone; fashion touches everyone. It’s personal and political, emotional and cerebral, conservative and avant-garde, creating and deconstructing cultural, socio-economic and sexual identities at will. I’ve always been drawn to what lies beneath the surface, in codes and symbols embedded in the apparently ordinary and in intersections between high and low culture, if such categories exist anymore. Most of all, since my teens, clothes have been both a fertile and expressive medium and a battleground, and I trace key moments in my life through what I wore. Haute couture and charity shop chic alike, fashion engages me visually and intellectually and at a deeply personal level too. I want to learn more about it.