Re: Clothing Worn by a Social Group in My Area

  • Rae Deslich
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
      Sorry, I hate to nitpick, but I have a few questions here...

      --- In CostumeHistoryClass@y..., turpinrs2001@y... wrote:
      > hats/headgear inside the school building. There was recently a spat
      > with a junior high student and parent, both practitioners of Wykka
      > (sp?), because the student had some jewelry with a pentagram. For
      > her the pentagram had religious significance, and she wanted to wear
      > it on Wykka holy days, at least. For school administrators, the
      > pentagram is gang sign, and prohibited.

      The *pentagram* is a gang sign? Since when, and where? Although Wicca
      may be classified possibly as a social group, it is no more a "gang"
      than the preps, jocks, cheerleaders, theater kids, or geeks are a
      "gang". Did the school administration have a logical explanation for
      this theory of Wicca being a gang and not a religion?

      > Our resident gang is a branch of the 415, which aficionados may
      > recognize as originally an Oakland, CA gang: 415 was the area code
      > for their neighborhood.

      San Francisco and the SF peninsula, actually. Oakland was always 510
      area code. :) And the "exportation" of California gangs is apparently
      common; I hear there are "branches" of the Crips, Bloods, and Crenshaw
      Mafia (originally from LA) in various regions in the midwest.
      All the interviews I've seen with them have been pretty
      fruitless; they claim that they're a "branch", but no LA Crips have
      ever heard of Kentucky Crips. I'm guessing it's imitation; much like
      white suburban boys have been doing in the past couple of years.

      Amusingly enough, two years ago, the entire peninsula (from just south
      of San Francisco itself all the way down to Sunnyvale) changed over to
      the 650 area code. I wonder what the 650-area 415 members did about
      their name? I sure don't see it tagged around as much anymore. ;)

      > The boys wear black oversized pants and
      > black oversized tee-shirts featuring some of the more obnoxious
      >punk groups or rappers.

      Now I'm *really* nitpicking, but gangstas listening to punk bands?
      This is a new one to me. Everywhere else, the gangsta wannabe kids
      usually make fun of/beat up punks, and have been known to tag "PUNK IS
      DEAD" on the occaisional available surface. The last punk/rap
      crossover I know of was Ice-T's band Body Count, and that was in 1990.
      Is there a resurgence of punk music going on among non-punks?
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2001
        There was recently a
        spat
        > > with a junior high student and parent, both practitioners of Wykka
        > > (sp?), because the student had some jewelry with a pentagram. For
        > > her the pentagram had religious significance, and she wanted to
        wear
        > > it on Wykka holy days, at least. For school administrators, the
        > > pentagram is gang sign, and prohibited.

        Interestingly if the parent and child sued, the school district would
        be in major legal trouble. All over America, in numerous cases courts
        have ruled in favor of students wearing religious symbols of any
        description that they prefer:

        http://www.adl.org/religion_ps/dress_codes.html
        http://www.religioustolerance.org/sch_clot.htm
        http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=8553