this is great!

  • dprice@telus.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2001
      I'm thrilled to have stumbled upon this class. I have taken a
      history of costume class years ago and am eager for a refresher.
      Does anyone know the name of the neckbands (frilly little things)
      that women wore turn of the 19th C? I think it was a lady's name...
    • magalino@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2001
        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@egroups.com, dprice@t... wrote:

        > Does anyone know the name of the neckbands (frilly little
        things)
        > that women wore turn of the 19th C? I think it was a lady's
        name...

        [I also e-mailed this message, but I have a hard time getting
        egroups to listen to my e-mails. If the message appears twice, I
        apologize]

        The neck ruffle that you are thinking of is called a
        'Betsy', named after Queen Elizabeth I. The ruff was a popular
        style for both men and women in the
        Elizabethan period, worn around the neck and at the wrists. It
        was briefly revived in Regency
        fashion at the beginning of the 19th century. I
        believe, but I can't swear to it, that the betsy was
        more popular in the later Regency period, after 1810
        or so. You can see examples in the 1976 BBC movie
        _Pride and Prejudice_ with Elizabeth Garvie.

        Cheers,

        Megan Graff

        =====
        We never actually live, but hope to live,
        and since we are always planning how to be happy,
        it is inevitable that we should never be so.

        Pascal