Assignment 8 - Auction Report

  • aduriaud
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2014
      For the second part of this assignment I researched online vintage clothing auctions and outlets, including www.ebay.co.uk, for items similar and/or relevant to my chosen study garment.

      A search on Ebay for "vintage bloomers" returned many examples of genuine vintage French cotton bloomers dating from around the 1920s. I also found countless "vintage style" bloomers in nylon and rayon, and a style of bloomer called "directoire". A Google search provided more information on the term directoire, which apparently connotes a style of bloomer that evolved after the original, longer length underwear originally invented by Elizabeth Smith Miller. These later bloomers were shorter than their predecessors as evidenced by photos accompanying the Ebay auctions I browsed. One interesting discovery was that many of the bloomers auctioned on the 'site appeared to be marketed specifically to cross dressers.

      I found virtually no examples on Ebay of the ruched sixties bloomers I purchased from www.beyondretro.com. The only ones I managed to spot were generally childrens' underwear mostly sold as a set with a matching dress.

      Another 'site, www.etsy.com, yielded better results. Among numerous womens' bloomers dating from the 1930s onward were a red, white and blue pair, listed as pettipants, almost identical in design to the ones I bought (click here to see them). Another pair, also described as pettipants, can be found here. This latter item is described as "smocked".

      On this basis I did another Google search for pettipants. I found several bits of information on Wikipedia and other 'sites. In essence these garments, made popular in the 1960s and 1970s, were intended to replace slips under miniskirts and dresses for comfort, ease of movement and to prevent undue exposure. A good example of 1960s street fashion can be found here.

      In general prices for vintage bloomers from various era range between £10 and £20.