Week 8 Assignment - Step 2 (study garment)

  • aduriaud
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2014

      My selected study garment is a pair of ivory ruched bloomers dating from the 1960s (exact year unknown). My reasons for choosing the garment are as follows:

      1. Age of garment - as required, I chose an item that is older than me (1960s or earlier).

      2. Price - with a budget of about £20 I browsed Ebay vintage clothing auctions, online original vintage sellers' 'sites and a few London vintage clothing stores. Many items I found were great but out of my price range. Some that fell within my budgetary requirements didn't have sufficient detail to merit an in depth study. Others were made too late (1970s or later). My chosen item was the right price and of sufficient interest to me to investigate further. In other words it looked good, had a story I was keen to learn more about and cost under £20. I bought it from www.beyondretro.com.

      Type of garment - Although initially I was open to any vintage item that fit the assignment brief I honed in on underwear. This was partially due to my interest in writing about a garment that would allow me to consider gender and sexuality within the context of fashion and dress in general.