RE: [CostumeHistoryClass] Hippie Fashion History

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21 3:19 PM
      Wow, that takes me back. In 1971, I desperately wanted a pair of white
      go-go boots, but my mother said no. By the way, white go-go boots were
      acceptable for everyone to wear, but black go-go boots were considered to be
      more racy (at least in Wisconsin).

      Hippie fashions were mainstream in the early 70s. You didn't have to go all
      out to wear them. You might have a "normal" outfit you bought at Sears but
      wore a fringe leather jacket with it or a choker or headband. Also it
      wasn't all tie dye and the like. There were lots of flowy peasant shirts
      and skirts-what I thought of as the "Earth Mother" look. Hair was worn long
      and straight, or in an afro, or whatever was your hair's natural state, if
      you were a hippy or going for the hippy look.

      If I recall correctly, real hippies wore a lot of natural fibers, while just
      about everyone else was wearing polyester, especially polyester doubleknit.
      Doubleknit clothes were worn all year round.

      I think your outfit would be fine for your party. Although I'm not sure
      about the earrings. The pierced ear craze hadn't started by then (not until
      1974, if I remember right), and pierced ears were not necessarily socially
      acceptable. You probably would not have seen big hoop clip on earrings.
      But for a young woman who did buck the trend had pierced ears, she would
      probably have worn dangling earrings, like something on a wire or a post
      with a dangling part.

      Again, this is all from memory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Funny how
      I can't remember what I did yesterday, but I can remember which of my
      friends had white go-go boots and which one wore black ones.

      Terry