Hippie Fashion History

  • nodisplayname
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2013
      I am wanting to host a Happy Hippie Days party, but want to dress authentic. I have a costume already made (gifted) with the label hippie fancy dress. It looks more like a go-go girl costume to me.

      My question is: Can a mini dress (go go style) with tie die or psychedelic patterns worn with go go boots (not the traditional flat go go boots, but the typical white platform vinyl ones) a scarf wrapped around your head and big hoop earing be considered 'HIPPIE'?

      In other words did hippies really wear psychedelic mini dresses with tall white platform boots at some point in time?
    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2013
        Wow, that takes me back. In 1971, I desperately wanted a pair of white
        go-go boots, but my mother said no. By the way, white go-go boots were
        acceptable for everyone to wear, but black go-go boots were considered to be
        more racy (at least in Wisconsin).

        Hippie fashions were mainstream in the early 70s. You didn't have to go all
        out to wear them. You might have a "normal" outfit you bought at Sears but
        wore a fringe leather jacket with it or a choker or headband. Also it
        wasn't all tie dye and the like. There were lots of flowy peasant shirts
        and skirts-what I thought of as the "Earth Mother" look. Hair was worn long
        and straight, or in an afro, or whatever was your hair's natural state, if
        you were a hippy or going for the hippy look.

        If I recall correctly, real hippies wore a lot of natural fibers, while just
        about everyone else was wearing polyester, especially polyester doubleknit.
        Doubleknit clothes were worn all year round.

        I think your outfit would be fine for your party. Although I'm not sure
        about the earrings. The pierced ear craze hadn't started by then (not until
        1974, if I remember right), and pierced ears were not necessarily socially
        acceptable. You probably would not have seen big hoop clip on earrings.
        But for a young woman who did buck the trend had pierced ears, she would
        probably have worn dangling earrings, like something on a wire or a post
        with a dangling part.

        Again, this is all from memory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Funny how
        I can't remember what I did yesterday, but I can remember which of my
        friends had white go-go boots and which one wore black ones.

        Terry

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2013
          Search for San Francisco Haight Asbury for hippie fashions or search
          Woodstock. Or go to wiki and look up hippie. There is an extensive article
          with bibliography. I would ignore the first picture captioned "Hippie woman
          giving peace sign"....looks more like suburban housewife trying to imitate
          hippie. Hippie dress did influenece popular fashion. More recent
          incarnations of some of the styles are usually referred to as boho.

          I don't know where someone would get the idea of "hippie fancy dress".
          Sounds like getting *dressed up*, which I think would be too establishment
          for any respectible hippie.

        • Thecostumersmanifesto@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 22, 2013
            Fancy Dress is British English for what Americans call a Costume Party or Halloween Costume. The English also use Costume Hire the way Americans use Costume Rental.

            Sent from my iPad