Week One Essay

  • ella_fowler@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2012
      The style of dress among most of the people in my small midwestern town is fairly casual, including jeans, tennis shoes, and sweatshirts. There is however, a large group of artists and musicians here that really stand out from the majority of people and their everyday style.
      For example, most of these people live downtown, and dress either in natural, flowing lines, such as in long skirts and sundresses, or in clean structured lines, such as in skinny jeans, tweed blazers, and tall boots. The one thing they all have in common is setting one another apart with unique, modern jewelry, handbags, or hats. A lot of the artists shop thrift and vintage, and use these items to help differentiate their style of dress. Many of the artists who wear the more natural lines also wear organic clothing and cosmetics. They dress their casual clothing up for religious or social occasions with more vivid cosmetics or with a standout piece, a cool bag for example.
      They visibly identify themselves within a group by using clothing to show their interests, for example - the indie music person wears the sundress with a classic blazer and the newest style of boots, or the gamer wears a gaming t-shirt with a pair hipster glasses and chucks. I would say this is also how they show status within the group also, and by wearing the newest most trendy styles made to fit in with their group mind style, and attract different genders according to where their style and particular interests are as well.
      Finally, I would say that they express individual taste with the accessories they wear, the brands they choose, and the overall style they wear, such as natural, classic, or techno modern. I feel that a lot of the choices of clothing have to do with modern technology, making an image statement, and lifestyle for this group, more so than wearing clothes just for comfort and warmth. What I mean by this is, wearing sweats to stay warm and run errands (majority), as opposed to wearing clothing to express a career and social status identity.