New student :)

  • Faithless
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2012
      Hey, everyone-on here to introduce myself and do my step 3/wk 1 paragraph :)

      My name is Angela, and I am a 30 year old mom of 3 boys. I've referred back to the Costumer's Manifesto website many times throughout the years. I am pursuing a degree in fashion design, but my passion is historical fashion. I grew up surrounded by Victorian era costuming books. My mother creates museum quality antique reproduction dolls, and she taught me how to sew when I was in third grade. In high school, I went to a vocational school and took Clothing/Apparel and Textiles, where I learned to sew clothing/crafts, including tailored garments and some basic pattern drafting. Until recently, I spent my time devoted to my children, and had given up on pursuing costuming because the colleges that I could go to were all in Boston, which is a two hour drive away, and I couldn't do that to my kids. A couple years ago, I found the Academy of Art University, and am currently taking their online degree in fashion design. It isn't quite the right fit for costuming, but the pattern drafting classes are more than worth it for me. On top of that, I am also planning on opening a business, starting with corsets, and hopefully branching off into steampunk (which is a modern interpretation of Victorian era items/clothing). Anyways, to my paragraph:

      I am interested in the History of Fashion because it is vital to what I want to do. I am very passionate about historical costume, and it is important to understand what that entails, not only with the silhoutte, but the fabric and trim used, and the differences in costume between classes and locale. I never go halfway with anything. Proper research is so important to do things properly, and I thought I would start with this class.