Assignment 1: Becky Summers

  • rebekahsummers87
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2011
      'Burlesque' style fashion is currently very popular in the area I live in. Particularly with young women in their early to mid 20's as clothing for evenings out. Their clothing often consists of corsetry and lingerie type garments, often made of lace combined with day to day items such as tight denim jeans or pencil skirts. I believe the trend became popular originally with the release of the film 'Moulin Rouge' in the early 2000's, and had been revived somewhat with the rising popularity of celebrities such as Dita Von Tease and Lady Gaga.
      The fashion for Burlesque type clothing seems to be worn only on special occasions such as celebrations for birthdays etc, but also seems to be worn on a more regular basis by a few people. I have seen a couple of girls dressed in corsets and bustle skirts doing a weekly shop in the local supermarket.
      I believe the style shown within the Burlesque fashion area is primarily used as and expression of individual taste. However there is undeniably an aspect of gender attraction there. The general overall look of the style is seductive, erotic and fetish-like, particularly with the addition of corsets, which have for many centuries been an object of sexual desires and preference. The style can also involve extravagant shoes and many accessories, including feathers and specific materials such as leather.