Re: Places to see historical costumes & fashion: Europe & UK

  • Jayne coney
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 20, 2011
      That's ok. I'm going to the Globe in July & will make sure to have the battery charged.
      I'll also post pics from Prague Quadrennial, Wien Theatre Museum & Wien Museum Fashion Collection, but not till I get home. Sorry, 3 weeks.
      Jayne
    • rebekahsummers87
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
        Hi, your journey sounds wonderful!

        I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but in Ludwigsburg, Germany (Modemuseum im Schloss Ludwigsburg) there is an amazing costume museum. I was there about 3 years ago and it really took my breath away.

        The museum is about 30 to 40 minutes away from Stuttgart city and well worth a visit if you are anywhere nearby!

        I was in Vienna earlier this year and thought the Sisi exhibition was wonderful, there are some beautiful replicas there.

        Good luck on your travels!

        Rebekah x

        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "mizjayne_c" <mizjayne_c@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        > It only just occurred to me to post something here.
        > I am currently on a costume sojourn through Europe & the UK, searching out wonderful example of historical & theatrical costume/ fashion.
        >
        > So far I've been to Rome, out of necessity, the cheapest flight landed there. And I found 8 examples in the museums, clothes seem to be far to modern to display in Rome.
        > Then to Florence where they have a spectacular Costume Gallery at the Pitti Palace.
        > On to Venice to the Biennale, no costumes, but the Palazzo Mocenigo has some stunning examples from XVIII & currently displaying a fabulous contemporary exhibition of textiles from around the globe: miniartextil - a textile experience. The Casa Goldoni theatre museum, also had a wonderful display of marionettes in costume.
        >
        > The best so far was Vienna. The Wien Theatre museum was amazing. Huge costume display, that you are allowed to photograph without a flash. I spent 3 hours there. After that a further 3 hours at the Haufberg Palace at the silver & porcelain museum, the Empress Elisabeth 'Sisi' exhibition& a tour through the Kaiser Apartments.
        > There was only a small display of original garments & accessories, but quite a number of recreations as the originals were destroyed or to delicate for display.
        > Then I had made an appointment with the curator of the Wien museum costume department. Their storage facility just out of Vienna houses a collection of 22,000 items dating back to the 1780's.
        > The 3 hours I spent there were absolute magic & I could have spent weeks or months immersed by their collection. As a costume designer from Australia where there are so few example of early fashion I was overwhelmed by what is housed by the Wien museum. Dresses, ensembles, shoes, hair accessories, jackets, hats, bags. And the exquisite handwork of pin tucks, shadow work, beading, embroidery, hand painting.
        > It was an experience of a lifetime.
        > Now I am in Prague at about to attend the Prague quadrennial for the next 8 day, then I move on to Paris for 9 days & the UK for 10.
        > Obviously I will visit the V& A, Bath Museum & the costume gallery at Manchester, but can anyone suggest any place I might be missing out on on my travels?
        >
        > I'm happy to expand on this description& post pictures, if anyone is interested.
        > Regards
        > Jayne

      • Jayne Coney
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 15, 2011
          I'm going to try & upload a whole stack of photos from my trip.

          There are examples from the Bath Costume museum, Manchester Costume Gallery, the Wien Museum storage facility, Cinecitta Studios, Wien Theatre Museum, the Prague Quadrennial: country, student & intersection exhibits, Tower of London, V&A theatre exhibit & Asian textiles (costume dept is closed till 2012), Versailles, Rome Museum, but it's likely to take awhile for me to edit all the names.
          I hope you'll enjoy a little taste of my trip.
          Some venues refused photos, some restricted flash photography & had very limited lighting.
          Jayne

        • mizjayne_c
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 16, 2011
            100 photos have been added & edited.