Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] No-Waste Cutting, 1950s Style

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2011
      Mary Brooks Picken was a serious goddess of cool sewing ideas. Her WWII era
      Mending Made Easy is still the best book on the topic, and even includes how to
      reweave nylons!

      ---Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer Diablo Valley College
      Personal Website- The Costumer's Manifesto at http://costumes.org
      Buy my DVD-Rom Teaching series on Theatrical Makeup at
      http://www.theatricaldesign.com/makeup/

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21 12:11 PM
        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "francesgrimble" <fran@...> wrote:

        > I recently bought a used book titled Sewing Magic, by Mary Brooks Picken, with the copyright dates of 1950, 1951, and 1952.

        <snip>

        I just received a similar but smaller book, Dress Accessories and Gifts You Can Make, by Marie I. Moore, published in 1952. This contains "patternless fashions" for women's scarves, bows, dickies, jackets, capes, skirts, and other items. Available used and worth a look.