Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] Places to see historical costumes & fashion: Europe & UK

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 17, 2011
      Paris also has 2 costume museums:Musée de la Mode et du Costume, and Musée de
      la Mode et du Textile, see http://www.marquise.de/en/misc/museums.shtml for
      more, and more and more info on this topic.

      ---Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer Diablo Valley College
      Personal Website- The Costumer's Manifesto at http://costumes.org
      Buy my DVD-Rom Teaching series on Theatrical Makeup at
      http://www.theatricaldesign.com/makeup/

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 19, 2011
        I started to take pictures, but my camera battery died while I was there.

        Terry

        _____

        From: Terry <twalker@... <mailto:twalker%40us.net> >
        fashion: Europe & UK
        To: CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:CostumeHistoryClass%40yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 9:25 AM

        I was just in London, and the V&A costume gallery is closed until next year.
        The costumes at Kensington palace are also not on display until next year.
        Both places are renovating in time to open for the 2012 Olympics. The V&A
        does have some scattered clothing pieces on display, and there is a ticketed
        exhibit on decorative arts, jewelry, and fashion called the Cult of Beauty:
        The Aesthetic Movement 1860-1900.

        The Globe Theater has some of their costumes on display, but what is
        interesting is they have a small recreation of how the costumes would have
        been made back in Shakespeare's day.

        Terry

      • Jayne coney
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 20, 2011
          That's ok. I'm going to the Globe in July & will make sure to have the battery charged.
          I'll also post pics from Prague Quadrennial, Wien Theatre Museum & Wien Museum Fashion Collection, but not till I get home. Sorry, 3 weeks.
          Jayne
        • rebekahsummers87
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
            Hi, your journey sounds wonderful!

            I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but in Ludwigsburg, Germany (Modemuseum im Schloss Ludwigsburg) there is an amazing costume museum. I was there about 3 years ago and it really took my breath away.

            The museum is about 30 to 40 minutes away from Stuttgart city and well worth a visit if you are anywhere nearby!

            I was in Vienna earlier this year and thought the Sisi exhibition was wonderful, there are some beautiful replicas there.

            Good luck on your travels!

            Rebekah x

            --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "mizjayne_c" <mizjayne_c@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            > It only just occurred to me to post something here.
            > I am currently on a costume sojourn through Europe & the UK, searching out wonderful example of historical & theatrical costume/ fashion.
            >
            > So far I've been to Rome, out of necessity, the cheapest flight landed there. And I found 8 examples in the museums, clothes seem to be far to modern to display in Rome.
            > Then to Florence where they have a spectacular Costume Gallery at the Pitti Palace.
            > On to Venice to the Biennale, no costumes, but the Palazzo Mocenigo has some stunning examples from XVIII & currently displaying a fabulous contemporary exhibition of textiles from around the globe: miniartextil - a textile experience. The Casa Goldoni theatre museum, also had a wonderful display of marionettes in costume.
            >
            > The best so far was Vienna. The Wien Theatre museum was amazing. Huge costume display, that you are allowed to photograph without a flash. I spent 3 hours there. After that a further 3 hours at the Haufberg Palace at the silver & porcelain museum, the Empress Elisabeth 'Sisi' exhibition& a tour through the Kaiser Apartments.
            > There was only a small display of original garments & accessories, but quite a number of recreations as the originals were destroyed or to delicate for display.
            > Then I had made an appointment with the curator of the Wien museum costume department. Their storage facility just out of Vienna houses a collection of 22,000 items dating back to the 1780's.
            > The 3 hours I spent there were absolute magic & I could have spent weeks or months immersed by their collection. As a costume designer from Australia where there are so few example of early fashion I was overwhelmed by what is housed by the Wien museum. Dresses, ensembles, shoes, hair accessories, jackets, hats, bags. And the exquisite handwork of pin tucks, shadow work, beading, embroidery, hand painting.
            > It was an experience of a lifetime.
            > Now I am in Prague at about to attend the Prague quadrennial for the next 8 day, then I move on to Paris for 9 days & the UK for 10.
            > Obviously I will visit the V& A, Bath Museum & the costume gallery at Manchester, but can anyone suggest any place I might be missing out on on my travels?
            >
            > I'm happy to expand on this description& post pictures, if anyone is interested.
            > Regards
            > Jayne

          • Jayne Coney
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 15, 2011
              I'm going to try & upload a whole stack of photos from my trip.

              There are examples from the Bath Costume museum, Manchester Costume Gallery, the Wien Museum storage facility, Cinecitta Studios, Wien Theatre Museum, the Prague Quadrennial: country, student & intersection exhibits, Tower of London, V&A theatre exhibit & Asian textiles (costume dept is closed till 2012), Versailles, Rome Museum, but it's likely to take awhile for me to edit all the names.
              I hope you'll enjoy a little taste of my trip.
              Some venues refused photos, some restricted flash photography & had very limited lighting.
              Jayne

            • mizjayne_c
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 16, 2011
                100 photos have been added & edited.