Places to see historical costumes & fashion: Europe & UK

  • mizjayne_c
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 16, 2011
      Hi everyone,
      It only just occurred to me to post something here.
      I am currently on a costume sojourn through Europe & the UK, searching out wonderful example of historical & theatrical costume/ fashion.

      So far I've been to Rome, out of necessity, the cheapest flight landed there. And I found 8 examples in the museums, clothes seem to be far to modern to display in Rome.
      Then to Florence where they have a spectacular Costume Gallery at the Pitti Palace.
      On to Venice to the Biennale, no costumes, but the Palazzo Mocenigo has some stunning examples from XVIII & currently displaying a fabulous contemporary exhibition of textiles from around the globe: miniartextil - a textile experience. The Casa Goldoni theatre museum, also had a wonderful display of marionettes in costume.

      The best so far was Vienna. The Wien Theatre museum was amazing. Huge costume display, that you are allowed to photograph without a flash. I spent 3 hours there. After that a further 3 hours at the Haufberg Palace at the silver & porcelain museum, the Empress Elisabeth 'Sisi' exhibition& a tour through the Kaiser Apartments.
      There was only a small display of original garments & accessories, but quite a number of recreations as the originals were destroyed or to delicate for display.
      Then I had made an appointment with the curator of the Wien museum costume department. Their storage facility just out of Vienna houses a collection of 22,000 items dating back to the 1780's.
      The 3 hours I spent there were absolute magic & I could have spent weeks or months immersed by their collection. As a costume designer from Australia where there are so few example of early fashion I was overwhelmed by what is housed by the Wien museum. Dresses, ensembles, shoes, hair accessories, jackets, hats, bags. And the exquisite handwork of pin tucks, shadow work, beading, embroidery, hand painting.
      It was an experience of a lifetime.
      Now I am in Prague at about to attend the Prague quadrennial for the next 8 day, then I move on to Paris for 9 days & the UK for 10.
      Obviously I will visit the V& A, Bath Museum & the costume gallery at Manchester, but can anyone suggest any place I might be missing out on on my travels?

      I'm happy to expand on this description& post pictures, if anyone is interested.
      Regards
      Jayne
    • Terry
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 16, 2011
        I was just in London, and the V&A costume gallery is closed until next year.
        The costumes at Kensington palace are also not on display until next year.
        Both places are renovating in time to open for the 2012 Olympics. The V&A
        does have some scattered clothing pieces on display, and there is a ticketed
        exhibit on decorative arts, jewelry, and fashion called the Cult of Beauty:
        The Aesthetic Movement 1860-1900.

        The Globe Theater has some of their costumes on display, but what is
        interesting is they have a small recreation of how the costumes would have
        been made back in Shakespeare's day.

        Terry

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 16, 2011
          Interesting info Terry......did you happen to take som pictures at the Globe Theatre............? That sounds so neat to me. I am in the USA.

          Dollie-ON,
          Durelle
          Demi-Divas by Durelle
          http://demi-divasbydurelle.50megs.com/

          Chic Indulgence (Fashions for your dolls)
           http://demi-divasbydurelle.50megs.com/chic/chic.html

          First to Know Yahoo Group
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChicIndulgenceDollFashions/

          Member of Couture Doll Shops
          http://couturedollshop.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 16, 2011
            Thanks for the update Terry. But it almost made me cry, I travel halfway round the world to see yet another collection that is closed. In Rome the decorative arts display that included costume was closed for a special exhibition, in Venice it was the lace museum that reopens in two weeks, now they V & A. It was the same in 2003 when I was in the UK, only a small exhibit was on display.
            Thank goodness for Vienna.
            Apparently the collection & study centre is being moved to a new storage facility & won't be available till 2013 as it will take 2 years to move the 50,000 items.
            I have contacted them, but it seems unlikely i'llI get to see anything. That'll teach me to do my research months in advance, pesky productions were getting on the way of rechecking plans in the lead up to my departure.
            Mizj

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 17, 2011
              At the V&A, a lot of really important stuff is scattered in "The British
              Galleries" including Margaret Leighton's Jacket. James II's wedding suit, and
              the dolls with male & female dress of 1700 including all the underpinnings and
              extra clothes in drawers for view. There is also a big room in one of the far
              corners of the museum with tons of textiles on display, and another smaller room
              with important historical jewelry, to which it is hard to find the entrance, but
              is very worthwhile. Out of town in Greenwich is the fan museum (short boat trip
              from dock near the Globe), and a full day trip to Bath for the Museum of Costume
              is worth it. Up north the Gallery of English Costume in Manchester is famous.

              ---Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer Diablo Valley College
              Personal Website- The Costumer's Manifesto at http://costumes.org
              Buy my DVD-Rom Teaching series on Theatrical Makeup at
              http://www.theatricaldesign.com/makeup/

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 17, 2011
                Paris also has 2 costume museums:Musée de la Mode et du Costume, and Musée de
                la Mode et du Textile, see http://www.marquise.de/en/misc/museums.shtml for
                more, and more and more info on this topic.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 19, 2011
                  I started to take pictures, but my camera battery died while I was there.

                  Terry

                  _____

                  --- On Thu, 6/16/11, Terry <twalker@... <mailto:twalker%40us.net> >

                  From: Terry <twalker@... <mailto:twalker%40us.net> >
                  fashion: Europe & UK
                  To: CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:CostumeHistoryClass%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 20, 2011
                    That's ok. I'm going to the Globe in July & will make sure to have the battery charged.
                    I'll also post pics from Prague Quadrennial, Wien Theatre Museum & Wien Museum Fashion Collection, but not till I get home. Sorry, 3 weeks.
                    Jayne
                  • rebekahsummers87
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
                      Hi, your journey sounds wonderful!

                      I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but in Ludwigsburg, Germany (Modemuseum im Schloss Ludwigsburg) there is an amazing costume museum. I was there about 3 years ago and it really took my breath away.

                      The museum is about 30 to 40 minutes away from Stuttgart city and well worth a visit if you are anywhere nearby!

                      I was in Vienna earlier this year and thought the Sisi exhibition was wonderful, there are some beautiful replicas there.

                      Good luck on your travels!

                      Rebekah x

                      --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "mizjayne_c" <mizjayne_c@...> wrote:

                      > Hi everyone,
                      > It only just occurred to me to post something here.
                      > I am currently on a costume sojourn through Europe & the UK, searching out wonderful example of historical & theatrical costume/ fashion.
                      >
                      > So far I've been to Rome, out of necessity, the cheapest flight landed there. And I found 8 examples in the museums, clothes seem to be far to modern to display in Rome.
                      > Then to Florence where they have a spectacular Costume Gallery at the Pitti Palace.
                      > On to Venice to the Biennale, no costumes, but the Palazzo Mocenigo has some stunning examples from XVIII & currently displaying a fabulous contemporary exhibition of textiles from around the globe: miniartextil - a textile experience. The Casa Goldoni theatre museum, also had a wonderful display of marionettes in costume.
                      >
                      > The best so far was Vienna. The Wien Theatre museum was amazing. Huge costume display, that you are allowed to photograph without a flash. I spent 3 hours there. After that a further 3 hours at the Haufberg Palace at the silver & porcelain museum, the Empress Elisabeth 'Sisi' exhibition& a tour through the Kaiser Apartments.
                      > There was only a small display of original garments & accessories, but quite a number of recreations as the originals were destroyed or to delicate for display.
                      > Then I had made an appointment with the curator of the Wien museum costume department. Their storage facility just out of Vienna houses a collection of 22,000 items dating back to the 1780's.
                      > The 3 hours I spent there were absolute magic & I could have spent weeks or months immersed by their collection. As a costume designer from Australia where there are so few example of early fashion I was overwhelmed by what is housed by the Wien museum. Dresses, ensembles, shoes, hair accessories, jackets, hats, bags. And the exquisite handwork of pin tucks, shadow work, beading, embroidery, hand painting.
                      > It was an experience of a lifetime.
                      > Now I am in Prague at about to attend the Prague quadrennial for the next 8 day, then I move on to Paris for 9 days & the UK for 10.
                      > Obviously I will visit the V& A, Bath Museum & the costume gallery at Manchester, but can anyone suggest any place I might be missing out on on my travels?
                      >
                      > I'm happy to expand on this description& post pictures, if anyone is interested.
                      > Regards
                      > Jayne

                    • Jayne Coney
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 15, 2011
                        I'm going to try & upload a whole stack of photos from my trip.

                        There are examples from the Bath Costume museum, Manchester Costume Gallery, the Wien Museum storage facility, Cinecitta Studios, Wien Theatre Museum, the Prague Quadrennial: country, student & intersection exhibits, Tower of London, V&A theatre exhibit & Asian textiles (costume dept is closed till 2012), Versailles, Rome Museum, but it's likely to take awhile for me to edit all the names.
                        I hope you'll enjoy a little taste of my trip.
                        Some venues refused photos, some restricted flash photography & had very limited lighting.
                        Jayne

                      • mizjayne_c
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 16, 2011
                          100 photos have been added & edited.