I am interested in the History of Fashion because...

  • chulme89
    Message 1 of 22 , May 7, 2011
      I am interested in the History of Fashion because I have a passion for costume and clothing, and hope one day to work in the field of costume design. In studying the history of costume I'd like to broaden my knowledge and ignite my imagination.
    • cbmonda
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
        I like it. I enjoy learning about the creativity it takes to change trends, the genius behind constructions that change daily life, and pure artistry of great clothing design. Additionally, I want to understand how fashion has evolved over time and how we as a society have arrived at our current situation. Studying the history of how we dress illuminates the answers to important questions surrounding societal normalities, priorities, and interests. Hopefully, as the study of all sorts of histories do, the study of fashion history will cast a light on the path forward. As a society, where are we going next? Is this a place we want to go, and if not, can we change it?
      • aduriaud
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 21, 2013

          ...clothes tell stories. From my first pair of real, buckled winkle picker boots to the global mash-up of contemporary recording artist M.I.A.'s colourful look I’ve found meaning, power and even solace in the sometimes infuriatingly frivolous, always fascinating languages of fashion and style. And I’m not alone; fashion touches everyone. It’s personal and political, emotional and cerebral, conservative and avant-garde, creating and deconstructing cultural, socio-economic and sexual identities at will. I’ve always been drawn to what lies beneath the surface, in codes and symbols embedded in the apparently ordinary and in intersections between high and low culture, if such categories exist anymore. Most of all, since my teens, clothes have been both a fertile and expressive medium and a battleground, and I trace key moments in my life through what I wore. Haute couture and charity shop chic alike, fashion engages me visually and intellectually and at a deeply personal level too. I want to learn more about it.