Week 6: 18th Century Europe till the French Revolution

  • monikagbutterfly@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6 8:08 PM
      Hi everybody,

      I uploaded my assignment on 18th century stays and modern corsets.

      I recently enjoyed visiting the Fashioning Fashion exhibition on European Dress in Detail: 1700 - 1915 at LACMA (Los Angeles). They also had a day-long symposium with curators from Kyoto and Paris and the German and Swiss collectors of the exhibits. Fascinating!

      Monika
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7 9:49 AM
        I went down to LA to see that and took 3D video with my new camera of the exhibit. It is such a great one. And the best bit was hearing from the curators that we were seeing "the tip of the iceberg"! I look forward to the menswear exhibit in a few years. Mens wear always gets such short shrift in costume exhibits and collections, yet it is in many ways my favorite stuff.

        Tara Maginnis, Costume Designer at Diablo Valley College. See my website http://costumes.org and my DVD series. Http://theatricalmakeupdesign.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8 7:42 AM
          Tara,

          When I went to see the exhibits at the end of that long day, I saw somebody taking slow and careful video of the very first exhibit. That person looked like you but I wasn't sure. I was trying to work my brandnew digital camera and was dismayed by the poor lighting without flash, so I didn't approach and check it out. I had ordered the catalog up front for close study of the costumes and their history.

          I went back to the giftstore and with all the wonderful fashion books, finally settled for "Edith Head's Hollywood" about the famous film costume designer. The costumer designer I talked to over lunch about my aspirations, said I got to know about her. I just finished reading it. Put lots of dog ears in there, I learned a lot about fitting the stars and keeping with script/character requirements. FIDM Museum downtown LA opens their 19th Annual Art of Motion Picture Costume Design exhibition tonight. It runs through April 30 and I definitely want to go see it.

          Monika