Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] Week #3 assignment - Byzantium and Early Medieval Europe

  • Allegra Carlton
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
      Very interesting, thanks.
      One of the issues is that in extremely hot countries for people with
      relatively light skins covering up is safer than wearing very few
      clothes, and a couple of loose fitting layers may actually serve to keep
      wearers cooler than fewer clothes would, while quite thick headcoverings
      help to prevent sunstroke.

      I guess also there is an issue around what one's body actually is used to.
      I now experience a gag reflex if I try to wear anything closefitting round
      my neck, but in the days when I had to wear a highbuttoning blouse (at
      school) I didn't experience this. Body temperature also adjusts to
      accustomed clothing or lack of it, at least up to a point - otherwise how do
      men manage to wear suits on days when women are out and about in the
      lightest of skirts and blouses?

      --
      Allegra

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
        Thank you for your feedback, Allegra.

        Monika

        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, Allegra Carlton <allegra.carlton@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > for maximum modesty, is a loose sleeveless top reaching the mid calf. It
        > > also offers slits for freedom of movement. Now you can jump in and enjoy the
        > > water with this modest swim suit!"
        > >
        > > I would be very challenged by this type of clothing. My body would heat up
        > > in the many layers, especially the head/neck cover. As to the modest swim
        > > and sports attire, I would feel encumbered by the extensive coverage of the
        > > arms and the legs. I would be concerned about the weight of the garment to
        > > hinder my movement and draw me down in the water. On the other hand, an
        > > illustration of an 1890s demure Western swimsuit with knee-length drawers
        > > under a tunic with short sleeves and a mop cap (Costumes, DK Eyewitness
        > > Books by L. Rowland-Warne, p. 35) reminds me that Western costume was not
        > > always as liberal and revealing as today.

      • aduriaud
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2014

          Hi Monika,

          I liked the way you quoted detailed sources for this assignments and took the time to specify and describe contemporary Muslim codes and styles of dress based on a set of prescribed guidelines and clothing suppliers.

          Also, I think you make a good point in highlighting that what we know as "liberal" codes of Western dress are relatively recent.