Week #3 assignment - Byzantium and Early Medieval Europe

  • monikagbutterfly@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2010
      For this assignment, I looked into Muslim modest dress for women. According to Dr. Muhammad Hamidullah in Introduction to Islam - Daily Life of a Muslim: Dress and Coiffure (http://www.muslim-canada.org/ch15hamid.html#dress), "Muslim women should wear a dress which covers their body in a proper manner, avoiding high jumpers, decollete and transparent materials which show parts of their body. They should not try to resemble men in dress and coiffure and avoid all that is characteristic of glamour girls. Further, when they celebrate the service of worship, they should cover their head. The Prophet recommended that women wear pantaloons. Their gowns should never be higher than the middle of the tibia, preferably down to the ankles (as we read in a Hadith reported by Abu Da'wud, Tirmidhi, lbn Hanbal, and many others)."

      Then I looked at an online catalogue of modern Islamic clothing including the PrimoModa 2009 Spring Fashion Show (http://www.primomoda.com/clothing-store/home.php)– "Where Modesty and Style come together," with sections on professional and casual attire. I compared the clothing with images of Early Medieval Western dress (12th Century French Ladies Dress and English Ladies Dress of the 12th Century from Stibbert). The latter garments cover women's arms down to the wrists and are full length down to the ankles, as prescribed as suitable dress for Muslim women. Two of the ladies also wear a head cover that encloses their face down to the chest. Equally, modern Islamic clothing accessories include square scarfs, shawls, one- or two-piece princess hijab, as well as cotton arm sleeves. Full length jilbab (coat) with or without stylish details. A wide variety of loosely fitting embroidered tunic-style tops, some gathered with a belt, to be worn with pants. Ankle-length skirts and stylish short and long leather jackets. Primo Moda also offers swim and sports attire. An example is a 5-piece ladies swimsuit consisting of "a two piece hijab, a long sleeved undershirt, tights, and an outer shell. The outer shell, made for maximum modesty, is a loose sleeveless top reaching the mid calf. It also offers slits for freedom of movement. Now you can jump in and enjoy the water with this modest swim suit!"

      I would be very challenged by this type of clothing. My body would heat up in the many layers, especially the head/neck cover. As to the modest swim and sports attire, I would feel encumbered by the extensive coverage of the arms and the legs. I would be concerned about the weight of the garment to hinder my movement and draw me down in the water. On the other hand, an illustration of an 1890s demure Western swimsuit with knee-length drawers under a tunic with short sleeves and a mop cap (Costumes, DK Eyewitness Books by L. Rowland-Warne, p. 35) reminds me that Western costume was not always as liberal and revealing as today.

      Comments?

      Monika
    • Allegra Carlton
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
        Very interesting, thanks.
        One of the issues is that in extremely hot countries for people with
        relatively light skins covering up is safer than wearing very few
        clothes, and a couple of loose fitting layers may actually serve to keep
        wearers cooler than fewer clothes would, while quite thick headcoverings
        help to prevent sunstroke.

        I guess also there is an issue around what one's body actually is used to.
        I now experience a gag reflex if I try to wear anything closefitting round
        my neck, but in the days when I had to wear a highbuttoning blouse (at
        school) I didn't experience this. Body temperature also adjusts to
        accustomed clothing or lack of it, at least up to a point - otherwise how do
        men manage to wear suits on days when women are out and about in the
        lightest of skirts and blouses?

        --
        Allegra

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
          Thank you for your feedback, Allegra.

          Monika

          --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, Allegra Carlton <allegra.carlton@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > for maximum modesty, is a loose sleeveless top reaching the mid calf. It
          > > also offers slits for freedom of movement. Now you can jump in and enjoy the
          > > water with this modest swim suit!"
          > >
          > > I would be very challenged by this type of clothing. My body would heat up
          > > in the many layers, especially the head/neck cover. As to the modest swim
          > > and sports attire, I would feel encumbered by the extensive coverage of the
          > > arms and the legs. I would be concerned about the weight of the garment to
          > > hinder my movement and draw me down in the water. On the other hand, an
          > > illustration of an 1890s demure Western swimsuit with knee-length drawers
          > > under a tunic with short sleeves and a mop cap (Costumes, DK Eyewitness
          > > Books by L. Rowland-Warne, p. 35) reminds me that Western costume was not
          > > always as liberal and revealing as today.

        • aduriaud
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2014

            Hi Monika,

            I liked the way you quoted detailed sources for this assignments and took the time to specify and describe contemporary Muslim codes and styles of dress based on a set of prescribed guidelines and clothing suppliers.

            Also, I think you make a good point in highlighting that what we know as "liberal" codes of Western dress are relatively recent.