I am interested in the history of fashion because...

  • pankhuri_88
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 31 8:48 AM
      I am curious about how people have used fashion to express themselves in the past. I also feel that fashion has a transformational power to change lives.
    • chelsey0726
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 12, 2010
        I am interested in the history of fashion because as an aspiring costume designer I am interested in better understanding not only what the trends of specific times were, but also how the various events of the time affected these trends.
      • cheriebellingham@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
          Hello, I am interested on teh history of fashion because i want to go into video game design as a concept artist thus i'll have to know the correct style of clothing for the correct era.
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
            Good reason!

            Tara Maginnis, Costume Designer at Diablo Valley College. See my website http://costumes.org and my DVD series. Http://theatricalmakeupdesign.com

            On Jan 5, 2011, at 11:11 AM, "cheriebellingham@..." <cheriebellingham@...> wrote:

            > Hello, I am interested on teh history of fashion because i want to go into video game design as a concept artist thus i'll have to know the correct style of clothing for the correct era.

          • shoping4shooz
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 25, 2011
              I am interested in the history of fashion because when I am older, I want to do something in the field of fashion, whether it's design or textile making, and my school doesn't have any courses that has anything to do with fashion. So I figure, if I want to do well in the future then I have to be responsible and educate myself.

            • ella_fowler@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 24, 2012
                I am interested in the history of fashion because I am very interested in learning about the spirit of the times and the reasons why people wore the various clothing styles throughout the ages. I went to school for dressmaking and fashion design, and am working on starting a clothing business, and have come to realize that my niche and interest is in costume design. I have always loved history, and the psychology behind clothing, so I hope to learn a lot from this class.
              • pike.emma
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 25, 2013
                  I think it was 1996 in London. I had recently graduated with a degree in history and was reluctantly taking my first steps towards a career in law. The Imperial War Museum was showing an exhibition entitled "Wartime Dress" and I went to see it. One exhibit I still remember today. It was a clipping from a 1940s magazine giving top tips about which shades of lipstick look best with the utilitarian khaki uniforms many women were wearing to work in support of the war effort. That one small piece unlocked a very personal and human history that I had rarely glimpsed in my academic studies and I felt triumphant to know that the power of femininity, the desire to look and feel feminine was undiminished by the adversity of war. I am not a costume designer (I am no longer a lawyer either) - I am just someone who has always loved history - and fashion - and I want to learn more.
                • vanessabrunel
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 3, 2013
                    Hi Emma, I found the anecdote you told in your post very interesting. It is amazing how these women went through this war period keeping their feminity even in the worst moments of their life. But I think it was a small piece of hope that this war could stop one day and that they would recover their previous life. Best regards vanessa