I am interested in the History of Fashion because...

  • suhasinitnj
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 22, 2010
      I am interested in the History of Fashion because i am intrigued by whole process of evolution of fashion, clothing and design. I believe that fashion is greatly influenced by the socio political and economic status of a place at a particular time. I want to know more about this process of evolution of design.
    • k2robert
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 9, 2010
        I am a history major who has always loved period clothing. I'm also an aspiring fashion writer and I think it's important to know where fashion began in order to write about where it is going now.
      • millie5pac
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 26, 2010
          I am interested in the History of Fashion because I am curious about the story behind the clothes. Why do clothes matter? Why do they influence my feelings about myself or how I feel toward others?
          I love creating costumes or putting together a wardrobe. I used to hate it. But I am starting to learn some of the mechanics that take the mystery out of it. This has increased my desire to understand why people wear what they wear. Of course some of it is function. But there must be other reasons as well. I am hoping this course will answer some of my questions.
        • hexella7
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 3, 2010
            I am interested in the History of Fashion because I work in the fashion industry, and knowing the history helps me to connect to the spirit of the different times through clothing. I feel this helps me to understand, in a way, how people viewed the world, their world, and overall feelings and thoughts of the times throughout history.
          • monikagbutterfly@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 7, 2010
              I am interested in the History of Fashion because I want to design/construct costumes that accurately reflect the period of a play/character. I am intrigued by Tara's definition of history as informed by gender, age, class, etc. and am looking forward to Her/story of Fashion.

              Monika
            • monikagbutterfly@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 7, 2010
                I am interested in the History of Fashion because I want to design/construct costumes that accurately reflect the period of a play/character. I am intrigued by Tara's definition of history as informed by gender, age, class, etc. and am looking forward to Her/story of Fashion.

                Monika
              • claytj4eva
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 19, 2010
                  I am interested in the History of Fashion because I am interested in how fashion became what it is today. Countries all over the world have their own sense of style, and recently I've seen cultures influencing modern trends. Do designers create their own image? Or do they simply "borrow" from other inspirations and just add their own little touch to it? Is it just about giving and receiving? You give out your own creative ideas through your work as a trade off from receiving ideas from others. I am hoping this course will give me more insight on the world of fashion and help me become more knowledgeable in the field.

                  --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "millie5pac" <camillepack@...> wrote:

                  > I am interested in the History of Fashion because I am curious about the story behind the clothes. Why do clothes matter? Why do they influence my feelings about myself or how I feel toward others?
                  > I love creating costumes or putting together a wardrobe. I used to hate it. But I am starting to learn some of the mechanics that take the mystery out of it. This has increased my desire to understand why people wear what they wear. Of course some of it is function. But there must be other reasons as well. I am hoping this course will answer some of my questions.

                • down_jfnio
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 9, 2010
                    I'm interested in fashion because well I've been in to it since i was little. now I'm in my 4th year I'm college and currently in my thesis i joined this group so i could know more about fashion history and incorporate it in my thesis
                  • chulme89
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 7, 2011
                      I am interested in the History of Fashion because I have a passion for costume and clothing, and hope one day to work in the field of costume design. In studying the history of costume I'd like to broaden my knowledge and ignite my imagination.
                    • cbmonda
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                        I like it. I enjoy learning about the creativity it takes to change trends, the genius behind constructions that change daily life, and pure artistry of great clothing design. Additionally, I want to understand how fashion has evolved over time and how we as a society have arrived at our current situation. Studying the history of how we dress illuminates the answers to important questions surrounding societal normalities, priorities, and interests. Hopefully, as the study of all sorts of histories do, the study of fashion history will cast a light on the path forward. As a society, where are we going next? Is this a place we want to go, and if not, can we change it?
                      • aduriaud
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 21, 2013

                          ...clothes tell stories. From my first pair of real, buckled winkle picker boots to the global mash-up of contemporary recording artist M.I.A.'s colourful look I’ve found meaning, power and even solace in the sometimes infuriatingly frivolous, always fascinating languages of fashion and style. And I’m not alone; fashion touches everyone. It’s personal and political, emotional and cerebral, conservative and avant-garde, creating and deconstructing cultural, socio-economic and sexual identities at will. I’ve always been drawn to what lies beneath the surface, in codes and symbols embedded in the apparently ordinary and in intersections between high and low culture, if such categories exist anymore. Most of all, since my teens, clothes have been both a fertile and expressive medium and a battleground, and I trace key moments in my life through what I wore. Haute couture and charity shop chic alike, fashion engages me visually and intellectually and at a deeply personal level too. I want to learn more about it.