I'm interested in the history of fashion because...

  • reneeah@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2009
      I found a cedar trunk full of clothes of my mother, grandmother and great grandmother about 10 yrs ago. I learned more about them in those few hours than I'd done in a lifetime. There were also some vintage patterns in the trunk, so I decided to make them just for fun. Considering I didnt' know how to sew, it was quite a journey; but I'm really good at it now! I even did a copy of my great-grandmother's wedding gown from 1889 just to see what she must have felt like, hand-sewing for hours on end, day after day. Being from a generation of "disposable" clothes, this was a true revelation and awakening for me. I want to continue that sense of connection to those long past; to peer into their lives and understand how their dreams and hopes converge with my own. I'm not in the clothing or design industry; rather a kind of "explorer". Just a middle-aged, middle-class, white female living with a husband, 5 dogs, and my 99 yr old grandmother.
    • missie matecki
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2010
        I would love to see the name of the wedding dress designer and the packaging from 1889. I am fascinated with Victorian clothing and a vintage pattern like that is so hard to find. The construction they used is different from the way we put things together today. The best pattern maker today of that era is Truly Victorian.

[...]

      • soledeburneo
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2010
          ..I have worked in design and retail all my life and i believe knowing history will only help me in my future endeavors. I have always loved histry and this will combine two loves.

          Marisol