Re: MFA Costume Design in Dallas

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2009
      Hello Lizzy,

      I am not familiar with the theatre programs in Texas but I would like to recommend 2 books for you to purchase. The Costume Designer's Handbook and The Costume Technician's Handbook are both written by excellent designers, Liz Covey and Rosmary Ingham. Most theatre design programs use these as reference texts and they are considered the "bible" for most costumers. The Costume Designer's Handbook takes you step by step on what a Costume Designer needs to know and do to create a production. The Costume Technician's Handbook explains the building process of costumes. These two books plus volunteering in the local community theatres will help get you on your way . Best of luck in locating a theatre educational program close to you!
      Sue Leatherman
      Costume Designer

      --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "ElizabethZ" <lizzy_zinn@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of an MFA Costume Design in Dallas, TX? I am unable to move because of having a family rooted here and raising small children. I'm interested in costume design and if I can not find a program I wondered If I could develop my own working and studying with local masters? Any input would be of great value to me. I'm about tapped out at doing my monogram business. It's void of creativity and keeps me shut in away from the world.
      > Lizzy Zinn
      > www.lizzyzinn.com

    • Nicole Burchfield
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2010
        Hello Lizzy,

        I'm actually from Dallas myself - now in Chicago, and now a Children's Librarian not doing much costume design anymore.  But, SMU used to have a master's program.  It was discontinued the year before I went to school, but I have heard it is back.  That's the only one I knew or know of down there.  Good luck!

        Nicole