Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] Clothing habits of the locals;

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2009
      I thought the look came from having your belt taken away in juvenile hall to prevent suicides.

      ---Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer Diablo Valley College
      Personal Website- The Costumer's Manifesto at http://costumes.org
      Buy my DVD-Rom Teaching series on Theatrical Makeup at http://www.theatricaldesign.com/makeup/

      From: greenwooddreams@... <greenwooddreams@...>
      To: CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 10:10 AM

      I read this last message and smiled.  Go back nearly a hundred years and read about the early 1920's and Flapper dress.  Another lost and slutty generation.  They did the outrageous by wearing no corsets, slinky dresses that *gasp* showed knees that had often been rouged, rolled down stockings, and in some cases, flapping galoshes, which is why they originally were given the name Flapper.  They wore heavy eye makeup and dark lipsticks, and were considered wanton for doing so.  Want truly sexual and slut worthy, look at some of the late 1920's dresses.  They were often sheer net, heavily beaded, sometimes worn over a tube of silk referred to as a slip.  But sometimes not worn over even a slip.  Bras were only the most basic of undergarments, and younger women might not even wear that.  Dressing gangster isn't new either, it just has a different style now.  Look at the influence on men's clothing in the late 1920's and early 1930's.

      You said, "Elegance is no more, it has been replaced by trashiness."  The Victorian ladies who lived into the 1920's said the exact same thing about the outrageous young people then.

      My point is that fashion is cyclical, and that every generation has those who dress in a manner sure to outrage the generation before it.  It has been that way throughout history, if one looks closely enough.  People express themselves through their clothing, and I don't think there's too many instances when clothing brought down a civilization.

      From: original_invariance <original_invariance @hotmail. com>

      To: CostumeHistoryClass @yahoogroups. com

      Date: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 2:52 PM

      I find it interesting, every time I go to my daughter's school to find that all of the students are like a sea of mediocrity in their dress. Skinny jeans, converse shoes and hooded sweaters are the uniform de jour for the girls and are not that different from the way the boys dress. They choose muddied colors in browns or grays and it seems that there is not much deviance from the routine.

      There are few obvious differences between the boys and the girls. While boys express their individuality through such accessories as bright, multicolored ball caps, the girls opt for large gaudy jewelry. The girls wear heavy make up in dark colors, but the boys are not far behind as some of them wear eyeliner too. Few hints of color in the whole ensemble seems to be shocks of bold streaks on the sea of black heads, usually more found on boys. The girls opt for more natural hair color and longer lengths. Girls tend to wear lower but tops under the sweaters and tighter jeans that accent their femininity.

      Social class within the group is demonstrated via visible logos on the clothing. Designer labels clearly separate the well-off from the average as the pricing for these designers is not affordable to the ordinary teen.

      It is obvious that this method of dress is an unconscious social statement for the group. It is the way they 'belong' and identify with each other.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 15, 2009
        I had a mom once tell me she bought baggy pants for her kids because
        they would "fit longer" meaning the kid would wear them out before they
        out grew them.

        Kristi R-C