Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] Clothing habits of the locals;

  • missie matecki
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2009
      Media shock and mediocrity are the theme of the day. Anyone who has a cool label and "gangsta" credit are the best designs to wear. I am not sure when "thugs" became ultra cool but It is what kids like to wear so they seem tough in a tough world. The heavy makeup comes from singers and rappers alike. Being a "HO" is cool, sexually attractive and sought after. The downfall of society is not in the loss of hats but in the loss of grace and glamour where leaving something to the imagination was better than bearing it all. Silks were the fashion of the day. They clung to the body but did not show skin. We have always fashioned ourselves after the famous movies stars and musician. Elegance is no more, it has been replaced by trashiness. Skin to win as they say and sex education is a joke in schools. They wonder why so many kids drop out these days. Fashion follows society and entitlement and fast cash became the mantra both with parents and their offspring.
      Jailbirds and their baby mommas have become the cool people. Will we ever recover?

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2009
        I read this last message and smiled. Go back nearly a hundred years and read about the early 1920's and Flapper dress. Another lost and slutty generation. They did the outrageous by wearing no corsets, slinky dresses that *gasp* showed knees that had often been rouged, rolled down stockings, and in some cases, flapping galoshes, which is why they originally were given the name Flapper. They wore heavy eye makeup and dark lipsticks, and were considered wanton for doing so. Want truly sexual and slut worthy, look at some of the late 1920's dresses. They were often sheer net, heavily beaded, sometimes worn over a tube of silk referred to as a slip. But sometimes not worn over even a slip. Bras were only the most basic of undergarments, and younger women might not even wear that. Dressing gangster isn't new either, it just has a different style now. Look at the influence on men's clothing in the late 1920's and early 1930's.

        You said, "Elegance is no more, it has been replaced by trashiness." The Victorian ladies who lived into the 1920's said the exact same thing about the outrageous young people then.

        My point is that fashion is cyclical, and that every generation has those who dress in a manner sure to outrage the generation before it. It has been that way throughout history, if one looks closely enough. People express themselves through their clothing, and I don't think there's too many instances when clothing brought down a civilization.

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2009
          Or my mom's generation when wearing "dungarees" (blue jeans) to school
          was considered "unladylike."

        • steph49444@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 10, 2009
            So true! I never wore blue jeans until after college really. Even in the 1920's the gangster style was elegant and handsome. What happened to undergarments? This was considered sexy...slips, garters etc.
            Sent on the Now Network� from my Sprint® BlackBerry

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 10, 2009
              I truly have to say that i would appreciate the "gangsta" style more these days if they actually dressed like the gangsters of the 20's and 30's At least they wore suit and tie and made an effort to look good. These days it is all about holding your jeans up which I am sure most kids don't realize that in jail where the look comes from means you are available to be another man's "bitch" and or like gang rape. Consider that for a moment. And if girls wore dresses like flappers at least they would be dressed up and not look like they just rolled out of bed after a hard party weekend.

              From: original_invariance <original_invariance @hotmail. com>

              To: CostumeHistoryClass @yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 14, 2009
                I thought the look came from having your belt taken away in juvenile hall to prevent suicides.

                ---Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer Diablo Valley College
                Personal Website- The Costumer's Manifesto at http://costumes.org
                Buy my DVD-Rom Teaching series on Theatrical Makeup at http://www.theatricaldesign.com/makeup/

                From: original_invariance <original_invariance @hotmail. com>

                To: CostumeHistoryClass @yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 15, 2009
                  I had a mom once tell me she bought baggy pants for her kids because
                  they would "fit longer" meaning the kid would wear them out before they
                  out grew them.

                  Kristi R-C