victorian mens dressing gowns

  • missie
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2009
      Does anyone know if the men's dressing gown from the victorian period would have been lined? I am making costuming for my boyfriend and we attend Dickens on the Strand in Galveston. I have found a man's dressing gown pattern from that period. It does not say if it is lined.
    • chardellj
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2009
        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "missie" <mis2misu@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know if the men's dressing gown from the victorian period would have been lined? I am making costuming for my boyfriend and we attend Dickens on the Strand in Galveston. I have found a man's dressing gown pattern from that period. It does not say if it is lined.

        Hi Missie,
        Yes the gown would be lined, i have one of my grandfathers dressing gowns from the late 1800's (maybe just a little after the core of the Victorian era) and it is silk on the outside lined with satin and very elegant.
      • jason lyon
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 2009
          Yes. I have an antique dressing gown and it is actually lined and quilted, with the quilted section coming around to the lapels. Very warm and luxurious on those cold mornings, sad though to the condition of that 100 year old silk.  I have also seen lightweight shorter "smoking" jackets made of a single layer of heavy wool which is bound with the braided silk trim often found edging victorian men's day wear.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 28, 2009
            Thanks for the info. It shall be lined in silk but not quilted.
            Missie

            From: chardellj <chardellj@yahoo. com>

            To: CostumeHistoryClass @yahoogroups. com

            Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 12:33 PM

            --- In CostumeHistoryClass @yahoogroups. com, "missie" <mis2misu@.. .> wrote:

            > Does anyone know if the men's dressing gown from the victorian period would have been lined? I am making costuming for my boyfriend and we attend Dickens on the Strand in Galveston. I have found a man's dressing gown pattern from that period. It does not say if it is lined.

            Hi Missie,

            Yes the gown would be lined, i have one of my grandfathers dressing gowns from the late 1800's (maybe just a little after the core of the Victorian era) and it is silk on the outside lined with satin and very elegant.

          • missie matecki
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 28, 2009
              Thanks for the information. How fortunate that you have a piece of family history.