Why I am intersted in the history of fashion

  • read_good
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2009
      I am interested in the history of fashion because I just can't get enough of the stuff. As a little girl I made costumes for my dolls and then as I got older I made outfits for me. Lately I've began picking up vintage pieces at flea markets and I am incredibly inspired by the construction and interested in the evolution of the silhouettes. I love to literally feel the history in the textiles. I have a few books about vintage handbags and shoes and some of Victorian and art deco dress but I want to educate myself about what pre-dates the 20th century. The constant societal emphasis on fashion and trends fascinates me especially when I learn about the corresponding political, sexual and technological climates. I would like to learn more about the details & purposes of historical garments so that I can create a more learned foundation of knowledge about something that not only captivates me but is also a constant and major player through-out our entire known history!
    • Mary Chancellor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2009
        I find the links between history and fashion quite intersting myself. There are many instances where history has directly changed fashion. For instance the "war years" brought about dramatic changes, simply because there was a lack of some materials. Fascinating!