Lesson #1 Assignment #1

  • Nicole Harvey
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2009
      I am interested in the history of fashion because fashion is what gets my heart to sing and soar. It brings a smile to my soul, and it always leaves me wanting more. I desperately search for each and every tidbit of information about the subject because I want to be surrounded by fashion and explore the power it has over human beings. I yearn to discover the reasons why we are so strongly influenced by what adorns our outer shell. Why does what a person wears on the outside make such an enormous impact on how we view ourselves and others? How does a simple piece of cloth change our outlook on the world, our mood, our emotion, maybe even our souls? How does it change and effect our respect, image, and even trust of another person? How does cloth draw one in or repel, how does it unify and divide? Why do we feel the need to conform? What happened to the individuality of dress each culture used to possess? What happened to traditional tribal costume? Why did so many cultures renounce their own heritage in order to take on the costume of a culture that tried to destroy them? I am an aspiring costume designer, and I am drawn to this profession because of the reasons I stated above. It is my love, curiosity, and ambition that bring me here.