Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] Re: Lesson 1 Steampunk

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2009
      http://community.livejournal.com/steamfashion
      http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkfembot/
      http://steampunkworkshop.com/
      http://weburbanist.com/2008/07/28/creative-steampunk-art-and-fashion/
      also scroll down to links on the bottom of this page:
      http://alaskasbest.com/blog/?page_id=36

      ---Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer Diablo Valley College
      Personal Website- The Costumer's Manifesto at http://costumes.org
      Buy my DVD-Rom Teaching series on Theatrical Makeup at http://www.theatricaldesign.com/makeup/
    • Fay
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2009
        Wow! I confess I've never heard of steampunk either, but it sounds ... amazing!
        If I had the time and the context in which to wear it (school gate / supermarket doesn't seem quite the right setting) it would be fun to make the mechanical gizmos to go with the crinolines and parasols.

        Does anybody on this list know how to work in eight days per week!

        Fay

        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "angelaharrisdesigns" <angelaharris@...> wrote:

        > I have seen some steampunk but there is not a huge following where I
        > live. Thank you for the insight.
        >
        > Angel Harris
        >
        > --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "m0rifea" <daesalka@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > One of the genres of fashion that I find the most interesting is
        > > Steampunk. Steampunk has it's roots deeply entrenched in a
        > > Victorian/Edwardian industrial aesthetic, but mixes in classic Goth,
        > > Gypsy, and Industrial Fetish with a DIY ethos that creates an
        > > extraordinarily unique and disturbingly beautiful look.
        > >
        > > The Steampunk style manifests itself wholeheartedly in its eclectic
        > > fashion with a heavy focus on costume. Steampunk devotees are almost
        > > always DIY people. They sew and assemble their own fashions, making
        > > their clothing a uniquely personal statement. The look is assembled
        > > from an adventurous mixture of elaborate mourning dresses, waistcoats,
        > > corsets, bustles, crinolines, parasols accented with mechanized
        > > accoutrements like brass goggles, wings made from pulleys, and
        > > clockwork pendants. It is one of eclectic design and influence,
        > > flexible and adaptable, an 1890 "academical-inventor-chic" style that
        > > you might wear to a Jules Verne tea party or a Time Travelers ball.
        > >
        > > Unlike is sister-genres cyberpunk and Goth, Steampunk is not dark,
        > > gloomy or spooky but innovative, elegant and beautiful, its clothing
        > > reflecting its whimsical and some times edgy, rebellious nature.
        > > Steampunk fashion is compelling, and offers an element of glamour in
        > > an otherwise normal life.

      • biya1986
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2009
          hey me naina here!
          i m a fashion designing student and have to give a presentation on the french civilization and their clothing bt i m really confused abt this era plzzzz help me out
        • Matilda Prevost-Hart
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 17, 2009
            Hey, what era? The French have a long and varied fashion history.

            Matti

            i m a fashion designing student and have to give a presentation on the
            french civilization and their clothing bt i m really confused abt this era
            plzzzz help me out

          • tbelassiepage
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
              I am interested in the History of Fashion because i am fascinated by the change of clothes through out hundreds of years. Fashion says a lot about who you are and what your daily activities are because your style is fitted around that, it also says a lot about the environment you live in, for example, in ancient roman times, the men would wear short tunics made out of a thin material because of the heat. I am looking to explore that. I love fashion and designing, and i love putting different looks together, i think this course will help me get a better understanding of the different materials, styles and designers that the world has been experiencing, i would like to experience it to.