"I am interested in the History of Fashion because....."

  • badkittie748
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
      I am interested in the History of Fashion because.....i am curious to
      know antique modes of dress throught the centuries as well as antique
      methods of construction, and have developed a love for certain time
      periods depicted in film.
    • maraljeyrani
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "badkittie748"
        <badkittie748@...> wrote:

        > I am interested in the History of Fashion because.....i am curious to
        > know antique modes of dress throught the centuries as well as antique
        > methods of construction, and have developed a love for certain time
        > periods depicted in film.

        i`m interested in fashion history because i `m acostume designer and i
        don`t know enough. i` living in iran and there is no source about
        fashion history
      • ColleyOlley
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2010
          ...it has always been an interest and passion of mine for as long as I can remember (I was Cleopatra, by choice, at the age of 6). I graduated from school with a BS in Textile and Apparel Studies but have just recently questioned why I can't create a future in what I love...fashion history. So I am going to do my best to immerse myself in fashion history to an extreme and eventually go back for a MA and PhD in hopes of teaching in the long run.
        • monikagbutterfly@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 15, 2010
            Good for you, ColleyOlley. Go on and create a future in what you love. I think that this is so important for job satisfaction --passion-- and it gives patience and persistence to what we do.

            Monika

            --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "ColleyOlley" <silver_charm21@...> wrote:

            > ...it has always been an interest and passion of mine for as long as I can remember (I was Cleopatra, by choice, at the age of 6). I graduated from school with a BS in Textile and Apparel Studies but have just recently questioned why I can't create a future in what I love...fashion history. So I am going to do my best to immerse myself in fashion history to an extreme and eventually go back for a MA and PhD in hopes of teaching in the long run.

          • duchess.licorne
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
              "I am interested in the History of Fashion because..."
              At this very moment, that which leads me in this direction is my love for history, the interest in societal structures, lifestyles, characters, personalities, emotions... all these seen always, even if one tries to avoid it, in one's garments. The Art of clothing one's-self, the use of and invention of certain instruments to achieve it are fascinating as they are, but indeed, there is still more to it. Why is it that we recognise all the stereotypes when we watch a movie, be it historical or not? Because along with the actor's talent at conveying the character's posture and attitude, it is in fact the clothes that we notice right away. With that I have also revealed my other reason for learning about the History of Fashion, which is due to my aspiration to be a costume designer (and maker) one day, and as a side-note: I am obsessed with historical accuracy.

              Thank you and have a lovely day!
            • lawnsong7@yahoo.ca
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 22, 2012
                I thought I'd take a course that connects to my History courses. I have always loved fashion since I was a little girl. I would take Iris Brooks' out of the library and copy the different fashions into notebooks. I particularly enjoy the Medieval Age. A few months ago, I bought several of Brooks' books so that I could once again enjoy those pages of fashion. As well, I collect antique photos of brides from the Edwardian and the Twenties eras.