RE: [CostumeHistoryClass] corsets & urban myths

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 29 10:39 PM
      Another one like that that shows up in lots of costume books are variations on the urban myth of spiders or mice or whatever nesting inside big hair.

      ---Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer Diablo Valley College
      Personal Website- The Costumer's Manifesto at http://costumes.org
      Buy my DVD-Rom Teaching series on Theatrical Makeup at http://www.theatricaldesign.com/makeup/

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 5, 2008
        Hi everyone,
        I see many people have been discussing about corsets. That's fun !! I
        have finished my corset and put some pictures at:
        http://se.msnusers.com/PaulaDaabach/mycorset.msnw?Page=1 if anyone is
        interested. We had a lot of fun taking those pictures !! :o)
        Enjoy !
        Paula.
      • Steve & Rita Harris
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 5, 2008
          Greetings from Seattle, Washington in the United States!

          Lovely job. Boning looks great and the busk worked out well too.

          I'm curious however. I didn't see any "back" photos of the binding
          area where you pulled the laces thru. Where do they end? Top?
          Bottom? Middle?

          The custom corset I had made for me laces from the top AND the bottom
          to meet with long looped tails left and right in the middle area. This
          means that when the strings have been pulled tight, I have two long
          loops to pull to the front of my waist to tie a bow to hold fast.

          I was wondering how you handled that.

          Merry Christmas everyone!!! Auntie Rita

          --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Daabach"
          <p_daabach@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          > I see many people have been discussing about corsets. That's fun !! I
          > have finished my corset and put some pictures at:
          > http://se.msnusers.com/PaulaDaabach/mycorset.msnw?Page=1 if anyone is
          > interested. We had a lot of fun taking those pictures !! :o)
          > Enjoy !
          > Paula.

        • Paula Daabach
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 6, 2008
            Hi Rita,
            I realised after we took the pictures that I never got a really good
            shot at the back of the corset. :o( But I laced it from the bottom and
            up. However, I couldn't find a lace that were long enough so it is two
            shoelaces tied together so it looked like it was tied both at the top
            and the bottom. However, I hid most of the knot and the rest of the
            lace inside the corset behind an extra flap. (I put a flap on one side
            of the corset that covers the "opening" under the lacing.)
            I will see if I have time to take some pictures of the inside and the
            back of the corset and put those up too.
            I think it sounds interesting with the lacing of your corset, that ties
            like a bow in the front. Cool.
            Merry Christmas to you too !
            Paula.
          • Paula Daabach
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 6, 2008
              Now there are some pictures up on the same place
              (http://se.msnusers.com/PaulaDaabach/mycorset.msnw?Page=1) with the
              lacing and the inside of the corset for those who are interested.
              -Paula.